Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export Master Database Components to Ultiboard

Hi
  I have a bunch of resistors and capacitors and basic opamps that I have used in Multisim -10  that have a footprint asssociated with them.  These parts are not exporting to Ultiboard-10.  Is there a export option that has to be set?
Thanks
Rich

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(8,801 Views)
Hi Rich,

Do you receive an error message when exporting your circuit? Did you set up Variants in your design? If you want you can attach your circuit so that I can test it...

Fernando
Fernando D.
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(8,785 Views)
Hi Fernando,
   Thanks for your reply.   When I exported the file I did get the message that there where 130 virtual components that would not be exported.  But I have gotten the same message in previous versions of Multisim, usually it is just gnd and power supply symbols.  The parts that are not exporting for example are on sheet one and they include U1 - U3, D4 and D5, where I just copied them from the Master database and changed the user fields.  I did not set up any variants in the circuit.  I have attached the file.
Thanks for Your time
Rich Fenton

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(8,777 Views)

You are correct. It will not export unless there are footprints for the parts. Goto your spreadsheet view under the Components tab and you will see that some of them don't have footprints assigned. In this tab under footprint, select your component and a dialog box will pop up. This will enable you to select a footprint from the database that best suits your component. You then should be able to transfer to Ultiboard without pa problem.

I hope I was able to help.

Have a Nice Day

Kittmaster's Component Database
http://ni.kittmaster.com

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(8,769 Views)

Hi Lacy

Thanks for your help.  I only have a results tab in the spreadsheet view of multisim.  In Ultiboard I do have parts tab.  But for example D2 does not show up in Ultiboard, but if I double click on it in Multisim in the value tab it shows a D035 footprint. Is there a way to get the component tab to show up in the spreadsheet view ?

Thanks

RIch

You are correct. It will not export unless there are footprints for the parts. Goto your spreadsheet view under the Components tab and you will see that some of them don't have footprints assigned. In this tab under footprint, select your component and a dialog box will pop up. This will enable you to select a footprint from the database that best suits your component. You then should be able to transfer to Ultiboard without pa problem.

I hope I was able to help.

Have a Nice Day

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(8,762 Views)

Hey Rich,

I've been doing test and apparently I found the problem. When I open the schematic most of the components are grayed out; do you see the same behavior?

For example, double click D2 on page 1, the properties window will show up; go to the Variant tab and you'll see that 'Status' is set to 'Excluded', change the status to 'Included'. Now transfer you circuit to UItiboard; D2 should show up in Ultiboard.

Please let me know...

Fernando

Fernando D.
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(8,756 Views)
That is odd. In Multisim you should have Tabs( Bottomleft of screen) labeled Results, Nets, Components, PCB Layers. Make sure you have the spreadsheet view open by clicking Views (at the top of the screen) and making sure there is a check mark beside Spreadsheet View.

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(8,751 Views)
What tabs you see in the spreadsheet depends on the particular version. Only PowerPro and Edu will see the Results, Nets, Components, and PCB Layers tabs. The Base, Full, and Student will see the Results tab.

In general, you can identify if a part has a model/footprint by the colour. A black component only has a model and cannot be exported to Ultiboard. A green component only has a footprint and will be exported to Ultiboard but is not simulatable. A blue component has both a model and a footprint. It simulates and will transfer to Ultiboard. A grey component is not in the current variant, as Fernando pointed out.

You can also identify which components are virtual (and will not export to Ultiboard) using the Bill of Materials (in the Reports menu). If you select the Vir button, you will see all virtual components, including RLC components that do not have a footprint.  You can clearly see that the issue here is one of variants, not of unassigned footprints.

I hope some of these tips help.

Message Edited by koekje on 08-16-2007 07:47 AM

Garret
Senior Software Developer
National Instruments
Circuit Design Community and Blog

If someone helped you, let them know. Mark as solved or give a kudo. 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(8,738 Views)

Hi Garret

I can not find a variant tab anywhere, how do I change the virtual components to non-vitual?

Also when I press tthe vir button on the BOM I only get 4 virtual components:

Virtual Components View(From Document: analog)   (Printed Date: August 16, 2007 10:27:52)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quantity Description                       RefDes           Package          Type                      Vendor           Status           Price            Hyperlink        Manufacturer     Manufacturer Part No.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1        POWER_SOURCES, GROUND             0                Generic                                                                                                                                              
3        POWER_SOURCES, DGND               USBGND, DGND, GN Generic                                                                                                                                              
                                           D                                                                                                                                                                     

Thanks

Rich

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(8,726 Views)
Thank for the information Garrett. I wasn't aware of the fact that the spreadsheet was different in different versions. I will remember this and not make that mistake again. I really appreciate that.

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(8,719 Views)