From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Equivalent Value of Inductance and Capacitance in Series Not Recognised

Hello,

New boy here...  I'm using NI Multisim 10 (Education Edition) to simulate an antenna matching network and the variation of values of components.  The network consists of a loading inductor of +j9.405 in series with a resistance of 0.05 Ohm (loss) shunted with a series circuit consisting of a 1.7088 Ohm resistance (Rg), a capacitive reactance of -j307 (Xa) and an antenna tuning inductance (+j297.916).  This gives a drive-point impedance 'looking in' of 48.625 +j0.005.

I'm entering the component values to obtain the aforementioned reactances at the frequency concerned.

When I calculate the equivalent value of the R-L-C arm of the circuit I get an equivalent of 1.7088 in series with a capacitive reactance of Xl - Xc or -j9.084, and when I use this equivalent component value, the network works fine: measured current is correct and the circuit behaves as expected.

However...

When I use the three discrete series values of 1.7088 Ohm, the capacitor that equates to -j 307 and the inductor that equates to +j 297.916, the circuit misbehaves and the network current reads some ridiculous figure!  Why is this?  It's like Multisim doesn't recognise that a series R-L-C circuit equates to an equivalent series R-C circuit after the reactances of L and C cancel, leaving an overall capacitive reactance shunted with a series R-L network.

I've tried basic components and variable components.  I don't have much luck with the 'RF components' as I can't put the values in.  I've never used simulation software in my life so I might be missing something obvious (but not to me) here.

--

Kind Regds,

R. 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,089 Views)

Here's what I mean...

--

Regds,

R.

Download All
0 Kudos