From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Different pad diameter on copper layers

Hello,

This my first topic here:

I would like to know how to change pad size with different diameter on each copper layer: 1.6mm on top and 2mm on bottom. Thank you for your help ! 

Yann

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,072 Views)

As far as I know this is NOT possible. 

Also, it is NOT possible to change the size of a component pad during the layout process. 

Changes of component pads are possible with the footprint editor only. 

It IS possible to use different shapes of the pads for top copper layer, bottom copper layer and inner layers, but diameter (or edge lenghts in case of square pads) is always the same for all copper layers. 

All this refers to version 10 which we are using. 

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,032 Views)

I am using version 10.1 and it is perfectly possible to change a pad in the design without using the editor.

just right click on the pad or a selection of pads (SMT or TH) and change its properties.

You can also change it in the different layers, but beware, 

check the preferences of your board manufacturer, they might not agree, especillay if annular rings on the inner layers get too small!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,027 Views)

I answered too fast, apparently you ca change shap and diameter of the combine top and bottom layer.

If you want the shapes to be different, it needs to be done in the editor

sorry for this..

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,024 Views)

Thank for your replies.

I actually use the 11.0 version.

When I choose the properties of a pad or a group of pads I can select the layer but the values I enter in the pad size section modifies the size in all the layers at the same time.

Regarding the annular ring, is its value proportional to the diameter? What is the standard for most of manufacturers?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,005 Views)

oops I was way too fast with my answer. We are using two different layout systems and my statement refers to the other one. It is possible to change pad properties of components during the layout process with our version 10.0 as well. 

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,995 Views)