From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DC sweep : PSpice Vs Multisim9

I am doing a lab in school , unfortunately we only have PSpice installed in the school's computer.

we are to analyse a simple circuit with a voltage source , a resistor and a diode.

After simulating the DC Sweep, using the PSpice, we have the option to lay the traces we want , hence we can easily plot the transfer characteristics of the diode. i.e. I(mA) Vs V(v).

but when I use Multisim for the same circuit, I did not get the option to use the parameters I want, all it will show in the output variable is $1, $2, and $v v. Is there anyway, I can get the option in Multisim, so that I can lay whatever the parameter I want on the gragh like PSpice.

Also, when I run a Bias Point on PSpice , I get the voltages and current displayed on the circuit, but Multisim does not have this option, unless you use the probe.

Is Multisim not as powerful a tool as PSpice?

Thank you.  
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(10,065 Views)
First of all, I like to ensure you that Multisim can simulate currents and various components parameters and it is a really powerful SPICE simulator.

By default Multisim goes by the SPICE standards and offers only currents through voltage sources, but there are two ways to add a current variable for specific net.

Solution1: Place a voltage source with 0V (e.g. between resistor and diode) doesn't effect the circuit behavior) to "force" SPICE to offer a new current variable.

Solution2: Press the button 'More >>' and then 'Add device/model parameter' on the Output-tab to select from various device and model parameters. If you like to add the current through a diode, select the following:
Parameter Type: Device Parameter
Device Type: Diode
Name: dd1 (or your RefDes)
Parameter: id (Diode current)

If you like to simulate the IV-characteristics of a diode, you can also use the interactive IV-Analyzer from the instrument toolbar.
Regards
Ingo Foldvari
Area Sales Manager - US West Academic
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(10,023 Views)

Thanks for the reply.

When I chose the diode current  "Id" form the device parameter, Multisim is not plotting the current. it reads, @Id, it is only plotting voltage versus voltage. The @Id is considered a voltage variable not a current variable.

Maybe ,because I use the student version of Multisim , that is why I do  no have the option to plot current versus voltage. All the variable that can be plotted using the DC sweep are voltages.

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(9,836 Views)