From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Current convention followed for BJTs?

Hi all again,

In the attached file the collector current is positive, while the emitter current is negative.

I would like to ask about the convention that is used to determine the sign of the currents.

Thank you very much.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,380 Views)

Hi,

Did you set up your measurement correctly? I did the same thing but the currents were of the same sign. Please check the attachment. Hope that helps.

Regards,

Derek Z.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,369 Views)

Thank you for the fast answer.

I used the Analyses>>DCOperationPoint to measure the currents.

Using that analyses I obtained the different sign for the emitter and the collector current.

Do you get the same sign using the DCOperationPoint analysis?.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,363 Views)

I do not know about Multisim, but the convention in many cases is that all currents into a node are positive.  So for an NPN transistor normal (forward biased) base and collector currents would be positive and the emitter current negative, satisfying Kirchhoff's laws.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,354 Views)

As far as I can see, Multisim follows a different convention depending on the way the currents are measured.

If you use probes, the currents are all positive (as expected when using the probe in the proper direction). See the file attached.

But this si not the case when you use DC Operation Point Analysis, as I mentioned before.

That is why I am asking about the convention followed when using the DC Operation Point Analysis.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,339 Views)

The DC operation point analysis measures the the current directions and magnitutudes based on the inner build of the componenet. So in this case, unless you know exactly how the SPICE model of the BJT is can you tell the direction of the IE - the designer may have swapped the polarity inside. So to answer your question, I would say there's no convention in this case. Anyways, it's always easier to just insert the probes. Hope this helps.

Regards.

Derek Z.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,335 Views)

Ok.

Thank you for your help.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,324 Views)