From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Components not in multisim libraries

Hi!

I'm an italian high school teacher.

I'm newbie to MultiSim.

I'd like to simulate a PWM interface that use, among others, this two componenents that are'nt in the MS embedded libraries:

• STMicroelectronics STP10NK60ZFP
  • Optoisolatore uscita transistor 4N35X

I'd like to know wich is the better and faster way to solve the issue:

1. search and find an equivalent component in the MultiSim library
  2. use a spice model available on the productor's website (if there is one)

I've tried the second way for the mosfet following this tutorial: http://www.ni.com/tutorial/3173/en/

But at step 6 I've received this error message:

error.png

I must specify that I'm a mechanical engineer and I teach System and Automation with limited electronic competencies.

Is there anyone that can help me?

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,944 Views)

Hi,

searching for your error message I found two forum threads that could give you useful insight:

In the meantime I'll ask NI Multisim experts for advice about the most convenient way to simulate components not present in Multisim embedded libraries.

Regards,

Alessia

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,905 Views)

Hi. Alessia.

This is a very important issue for me.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,896 Views)

Hi,

it seems you made a mistake in one of the first steps in the Component Wizard; you defined a symbol to use on the schematics having 3 pins (component symbol pins), but the SPICE code defines 5 inputs/outputs (model pins). That does not match up. I'd guess you picked a symbol with only three pins in step 3 of the wizard.

If you can't figure it out, could you please attach the component file? Otherwise I'm afraid I can't help you that much.

Regards,

Alessia

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,891 Views)

Hi alamanna, thansk for your reply.

I've downloaded the model directly from the ST website:

https://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/search.html#q=STP10NK60ZFP-t=resources-page=1

Attached to this mail the downloaded model.

Otherwise, if I look on the ST website, I can see that the component has only 3 pins:

STP10NK60ZFP.png

Any idea?

Thanks in advance,

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,867 Views)

Hello mforbiz,

I had a look at the SPICE model you attached and the SPICE code itself also defines three parameters/pins (named 1, 2, and 3 in the .SUBCKT definition), so that's fine:

* MODELLING FOR STP10NK60ZFP
.SUBCKT STP10NK60ZFP 1 2 3
LG 2 4  7.5n
[...]

I tried the steps of importing the model into Multisim myself...

2019-04-17_13-55-35.png

and found the cause: The comment in the first line confuses Multisim. Remove it and it works:

Comment removed.Comment removed.Successfully proceeded to next step.Successfully proceeded to next step.

Edit: I am using Multisim 14.1.0. I did some further testing and found the issue being correlated to the comment containing the model name.

This is fine:

* This is a comment
.SUBCKT testik 1 2
R 1 2 2K
.ENDS testik

This errs out:

* This is testikabcd a comment
.SUBCKT testik 1 2
R 1 2 2K
.ENDS testik

Ingo – LabVIEW 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, NXG 2.0, 2.1, 3.0
CLADMSD