From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Christmas Lights Circuit using 4060BT

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm a beginner here and had just learn to construct circuits on the multisim. I've been attempting to construct the christmas lights circuit as given in the pdf attached. But as I run my multisim circuit, the 4060BT doesn't seem to actually oscillate like how it is supposed to function. May I know what is the cause of the error? I've been really thinking hard on this. A little help please?

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 18
(8,285 Views)

I do not have Multisim, so I cannot run your simulation. Your description is not very helpful: "doesn't seem to actually oscillate like how it is supposed to function."  Does it oscillate but at the wrong frequency? Does it oscillate but not drive the LEDs as you expect?

Note that the circuit in the pdf uses a logic IC in a mostly analog fashion. Some logic simulations only model the logical behavior and are not realistic enough to accurately model the analog behavior.  Factors which can limit simulation accuracy in circuits like this: Current limiting at output pins and input protection diodes at oscillator inputs.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 18
(8,272 Views)

@johnsold wrote:

I do not have Multisim, so I cannot run your simulation. Your description is not very helpful: "doesn't seem to actually oscillate like how it is supposed to function."  Does it oscillate but at the wrong frequency? Does it oscillate but not drive the LEDs as you expect?

Note that the circuit in the pdf uses a logic IC in a mostly analog fashion. Some logic simulations only model the logical behavior and are not realistic enough to accurately model the analog behavior.  Factors which can limit simulation accuracy in circuits like this: Current limiting at output pins and input protection diodes at oscillator inputs.

Lynn

Sorry, that line was suppose to mean, my circuit does not seem to show any oscillation movement. The evidence of the oscillation movement (caused by the IC 4060BT) was supposedly that the three rows of LED will take turns in lighting up at different rate. But if you actually simulate it, it only display (as the picture attached in this reply). static. no blinking. just as taken from the screen shot. I've double/tripple check the components, all should be correct. Have i left out anything/mislooked anything? Please advice.
simulation-christmas lights.png
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 18
(8,256 Views)

The .pdf you posted originally was very specific that the  power source needed to be 9 V. At lower voltages the LEDs would not light and at higher voltages the currents would be large enough to destroy them.  When S1 is closed you have V1 = 9 V and VDD = 15 V connected together.  That should cause the simulation to fail or very high currents in S1, depending on the value of on resistance.  It also appears taht you have chosen a model of the 4060 which is matched to the 10 V parameters.  Only use one power supply, probably 9 or 10 V.

The simulation is probably not detailed enough to have either of those effects.  Simulations usually do not produce sparks, smoke, and foul odors like real circuits!

The first thing I would try is to remove all the LEDs. Replace them with resistors of 10^5 or 10^6 ohms.  See if the oscillation works under those conditions.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 18
(8,246 Views)

@johnsold wrote:

The .pdf you posted originally was very specific that the  power source needed to be 9 V. At lower voltages the LEDs would not light and at higher voltages the currents would be large enough to destroy them.  When S1 is closed you have V1 = 9 V and VDD = 15 V connected together.  That should cause the simulation to fail or very high currents in S1, depending on the value of on resistance.  It also appears taht you have chosen a model of the 4060 which is matched to the 10 V parameters.  Only use one power supply, probably 9 or 10 V.

The simulation is probably not detailed enough to have either of those effects.  Simulations usually do not produce sparks, smoke, and foul odors like real circuits!

The first thing I would try is to remove all the LEDs. Replace them with resistors of 10^5 or 10^6 ohms.  See if the oscillation works under those conditions.

Lynn

To no avail. Tried even replacing the LED by connecting with the oscilloscope to test run the oscillation but it doesn't even move in sine wave form. But a straight line, even when the time base and scale is adjusted. Is it possible for you to get hold of Multisim? Then try simulate my circuit see if by checking there you can see what's wrong? If it is not possible, its ok.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 18
(8,241 Views)

Mulitsim is not available for the Macintosh.  If you can generate a standard Spice netlist for your circuit including the model for the 4060, I can run that.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 18
(8,233 Views)

Does the following slightly modified circuit work for you? It seems to work for me in multisim 12.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 18
(8,204 Views)

@digitalguy wrote:

Does the following slightly modified circuit work for you? It seems to work for me in multisim 12.

Hey!! Thank you so much!! yeah now it is working!! May i know what was the change you did in my circuit??

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 18
(8,202 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author multisimjunior

I just removed the 9 volt battery and made the Vdd and Vss connection 9 volts, which is closer to the rated IC voltage. That's about it!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 18
(8,200 Views)

@digitalguy wrote:

I just removed the 9 volt battery and made the Vdd and Vss connection 9 volts, which is closer to the rated IC voltage. That's about it!

Amazing!!! Thank you! 😃 so meaning to say... Vdd automatically acts as voltage giver to the circuit... correct?

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 18
(8,195 Views)