Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CD4060 & Multisim

I am trying a monostable circuit for large delays that uses a CD4060.

This is the circuit
I tested it on a experimental plate and works fine, but I do not succeed
to simulate it with Multisim 9.

The I.C. is present in the Multisim library but, after to have created the outline,
when i start the simulation nothing happens, all the outputs are immovable.

I need a suggestion from a user of Multisim,
Thanks, Roby.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 16
(27,449 Views)
If possible please attach the circuit file, so we can download it and test it. Or send it over to us mailto:support@electronicsworkbench.com so we can open it and give it a try. Thanks!
Nestor
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 16
(27,424 Views)
The circuit is on the attachment, thanks, Roby. Smiley Happy
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 16
(27,414 Views)
I just took a peek at your circuit. You have VCC but no Digital Ground. Some IC's require VCC or VDD and a VGND (Digital Ground in MUltisim 9) on the page in order to simulate correctly.  I did not simulate your circuit since I only have the Freware edition of Multisim 9. Give my sugesttion a try and see if that helps.
Kittmaster's Component Database
http://ni.kittmaster.com

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 16
(27,408 Views)
Yes!  Smiley Very Happy Was because there isn't VGND. Many many thanks Lacy for your help!!! The VGND was listed in the power library but i didn't try to use it (i have to read the manual with more attention).

Roby, thanks again!

@lacy wrote:
I just took a peek at your circuit. You have VCC but no Digital Ground. Some IC's require VCC or VDD and a VGND (Digital Ground in MUltisim 9) on the page in order to simulate correctly.  I did not simulate your circuit since I only have the Freware edition of Multisim 9. Give my sugesttion a try and see if that helps.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 16
(27,401 Views)

Lacy,

Thanks for helping out on this forum. I was stuck in placing VDD and DGND but it was not working for me, I'm glad it worked for Roby though.

Nestor
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 16
(27,394 Views)
This is for Nestor. First, I would like to say that I will help if I can, but I am by no means an expert with Multisim. Second, I simulated this circuit on Multisim 2001 and at first couldn't get the LED to light up. I had to change the LED's series resistor from 10K down to 330 ohm. I was not sure on his values for his particular LED so I used the default and adjusted the resistor until I acheived 1.2V across the LED. This may be  why you were having problems getting it to work (besides the missing DGND issue).
Kittmaster's Component Database
http://ni.kittmaster.com

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 16
(27,390 Views)

Thanks Lacy, I am myself building experience with Multisim as well, I have long time experience with NI products though, but I'm starting to use more and more Multisim and Ultiboard, hopefully in a couple of months I will be more helpful for this forum. Thanks for the explanation, I tried that on the circuit file I downloaded and it worked....

Nestor
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 16
(27,377 Views)
Sorry, sorry. In my last message i say "the circuit is working!" but isn't true Smiley Sad.
Effectively i decrease the led resistor to 330 and it lights, but the counter doesn't count. After about 36sec (2.2xR1xC1 x 2^16 ) the led must go off and when i close and open the switch the counter begins again.

Do someone got this result?

Bye, Roby.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 16
(27,369 Views)

Roby, I was looking further deep into this problem, since I also assume mine was working because of the LED light on, however, as you said, it was not counting.

Unfortunately, while troubleshooting this circuit I came across one note from our developers, apparently the 4060 SPICE model inside our engine is not working correctly, specifically the section for the oscillator, that will explain why is not counting. They have a corrective request to fix this though.

In the meantime, I used another similar counter, the 4020, and I got it to work, although you need to supply external clock, which you could either build with a simple oscillator circuit or a clock circuit. Check the image included. If you can change the circuit used (4060 --> 4020) please do so, if not, substitute it in the schematic for simulation purposes only and keep the 4060 for your real design.

Nestor
Message 10 of 16
(27,365 Views)