Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bus line naming error

I ran into a problem that I wanted to double check to see if it was a known issue.

I named a line on a bus "12V RTN".  Having a space in the name was apparently a no no.   I then created another bus that was merged with the first and "12V RTN" turned into "12V" on the second bus line but not the first (even though they were merged), which was followed by a number of weird things happening with the name, which I didn't keep track of (but essentially the name would change or act weird).  Finally I decided to make the line called "12VRTN" with no space, and that worked to make a new line with that name, but not rename the old one, which had apparently become impossible to change or delete.

So it looks like spaces in the names of lines on a bus are bad, but aren't weeded out either when you're actually entering the name--anyone else see this happen?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(4,669 Views)

I can at least confirm this behaviour as you described it. I just finished doing a test using your procedure and it did truncated the name after the space and I was also unable to delete or rename it afterwards. Worst case scenario is that you will have to delete the busses and start over. This is the only way I can see to elimate that line. Or you can continue on and just not hook any lines to it and it may  be fine.

This is definitely a software issue that needs attention.

Have A Nice Day

Kittmaster's Component Database
http://ni.kittmaster.com

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(4,665 Views)

I have a question about this behavior for both of you.

I'm trying to replicate it and whenever I type in: 12V RTN  as the busline it changes it to 12V_RTN. Spaces are not allowed in the busline name, but whenever there is a space the software is supposed to add an underscore ( _ ) instead of the space. Is this not the case?

When you merge buses, you can rename any bus from the merge dialog.

What version are you using?... I'm trying to replicate this on 10.0.1, which if you go to Help > About Multisim shows as build 10.0.343. Please let me know if it is the same version, I want to be able to replicate this to report it.

Nestor
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(4,633 Views)

I am using 10.0.1 and my build numbers are 10.0.343. I tried this and it did what he said it did, but I will go back and try it again to make sure. I will then post it for you to examine if it does still behave badly.

Be back with you soon.

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(4,632 Views)

O.K. I tried it again and it still does the same thing. I will post it below and let you take a peek at it. This is just a simple circuit with 2 busses labeled Bus1. When you delete the lines, the label inside the bus is still there and you can't seem to remove it from the line list.

Here it is:

Message Edited by lacy on 10-05-2007 06:16 PM

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(4,630 Views)
We are all using the same version.

There are (at least) two ways to enter a new bus line.  One of them is if you just make a blank bus and go to add a line.  That dialog box works correctly to replace spaces with underscores.  The other is to place a device and drag a line to the bus, which will pop up a "Bus Entry Connection" dialog.  That's the one that doesn't replace spaces in the line name.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(4,624 Views)

I can  can validate what he is seeing (It's always good that more than one person sees the same thing). The file I posted is the "drag line to bus" as he has stated in his post.

Have A Nice Day 

Have a Nice Day
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(4,621 Views)

Thanks for pointing that to me, I always use the other method, create the buslines first, then start connecting nets to it. But if you use the bus entry dialog to create the busline then I can confirm the behavior, spaces are not truncated. I will report this immediately to R&D so they can update their development plan.

Thanks!

Nestor
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(4,601 Views)