Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Battery simulation

Hello everyone,

I'm working on a project where I'm working with piezoelectric materials. I just want to make a simple test environment, that is, read generated voltages from the actual piezo instrument into Labview, and then input that into a simple rectifier bridge circuit which then goes into a battery. All I want to do is give my classmates an idea of how much is generated from the setup (all of them are not electrical engineers, so I thought saying something like, 'Hey, so this setup generates this much energy, which would charge up this battery in X amount of time).

Basically I just want to simulate a few different low capacity batteries that they may have come across from time to time and get labview to plot a simple voltage/time graph and calculate charging time. 

Can I simulate this completely in Labview? Or must I use Multisim? I realize the evaluation version of Labview (in which I am currently doing the basic tutorials) may not have all the modules I need, however my university library should definitely have them.

Thanks so much in advance, any help/advice is appreciated!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,531 Views)

Ajith S,

Yes, you can certainly do that type of simulation in LabVIEW.  Since the purpose of the simulation is to approximately characterize the behavior of the piezo generator for non-technical users, I suggest that you merely determine the amount of energy it would take to charge the various batteries from datasheets and then calculate the time to generate that much energy from the piezo device.  To be  a little more realistic you could include the efficiency of the conversion and charging circuitry.

Lynn

Message 2 of 4
(4,512 Views)

Ajith S,

Please keep the discussion here so that others can contribute or learn from what happens.

I would like to know if this can be done in real-time. As in

Piezo in action -> generates voltage -> I pick this up with the DAQ -> run circuitry and get a response immediately.

Yes.  Suppose the battery you select can store 1 joule.  If the piezo device generates 10 mW and you sample it 10 times per second, then it will take 100 seconds or 1000 samples to generate 1 J.  After each sample add 1 mJ to the amount in the battery.

Lynn

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,504 Views)

Hi...

I actually doing the same thing like that. But I dont understand how to generate like that?

Can anyone give or guide to me to build a circuit of piezo (same like above)

Thank You

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,900 Views)