From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Autorouter not connecting to copper area on inner layer

I have made a copper area on an inner plane that covers about half of a circuit board.  I've connected the copper area to the GND net.  When I manually drop a via over the copper area and connect the via to a GND pin, the thermal relief appears so I think the copper area is set up properly.

When I run the autorouter, it does not want to connect to the copper area.  There are quite a few components sitting directly over the copper area, and there shouldn't be a problem dropping a via beside a pad to make the GND connection.  Yet instead the autorouter tries to connect all the pads on the top layer via traces - not a single via to the copper area.

I also tried getting rid of the copper area and just making the entire thing a ground plane, and still had a lot of problems. Is there a setting that I have missed?  In the netlist editor the GND net topology is set to Shortest.  I can't think of what else to do.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,823 Views)

Hello m22oswald

Actually that is happening because we need to select the area that we won’t connect a component. That is possible with restrict parts net placement to a specific area in group editor Place>>Keep-in/Keep-out area.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,807 Views)

Thank you for the reply.  The copper area is acting like a keep-out, even though I haven't specified it as such.  And if I create a keep-in area over the copper, then the rest of the layer won't be routed.  I want the entire layer to be used for routing - copper area and not-copper-area.  For some reason the autorouter is ignoring my copper area.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,801 Views)

Hello m22oswald

That is weird. Have you tried to use another computer just to try the same or create another project, just to see if that works?

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,768 Views)