Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automate Multisim Activation

Hi there,

I'm encountering an error when trying automate the activation of Multisim & I'm not using a VLM. I've referenced the support materials here:
http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371136G-01/nilm/html/automating/

Here's the command I'm using:

"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\National Instruments\shared\license manager\bin\nilmUtil.exe" -s -activate "Multisim_Edu_PKG_140100" -serialnumber "*********" -firstname "MyName" -lastname "MyLastName" -organizationname "MyInstitution"

(I've removed the serial, name & institution info for this post)

If I run the above command without the -s, a pop-up message states "There are no licenses on your machine that need to be activated." even though the Multisim 14.1 - Schematic capture and simulation - Education Edition is most definitely not activated.

When I manually activate the software in the NI License Manager GUI I'm prompted to enter an email & password in order to complete the activation, however, the command line does not provide an option to enter an email & password. I've looked through these forums & exhausted my Google-fu & have had no luck finding a solution to this.

Ultimately I'm trying to figure out why the software isn't activating & why it's necessary to enter an email & password to complete the activation via the GUI, but not through command line?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,420 Views)

Hello 

Did you ever find a workaround for your issue?  I am running into the exact same problem.  Trying to automate activation for our multisim education installations . 

I am using the same nilmUtil command as you and I am unable to activate. As you stated there are no flags for entering a username and password.

If anyone has found a solution for automating activation any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks 

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,138 Views)

Sure did! Eventually figured out that adding a period in the "140100" part of the command fixed the activation issue. Here's the working batch file we're running in our SCCM task sequence with our information redacted:

@echo off

"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\National Instruments\shared\license manager\bin\nilmUtil.exe" -s -activate "Multisim_Edu_PKG 14.0100" -serialnumber "*********" -firstname "YourName" -lastname "YourLastName" -organizationname "YourInstitution"

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,119 Views)

For anyone using PLTW, the serial number provided in the documentation for the 20-21 school year does not activate using the above script. The serial from the previous school year, however, activates without issue. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,056 Views)