From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automate Multisim Activation

Hi there,

I'm encountering an error when trying automate the activation of Multisim & I'm not using a VLM. I've referenced the support materials here:
http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371136G-01/nilm/html/automating/

Here's the command I'm using:

"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\National Instruments\shared\license manager\bin\nilmUtil.exe" -s -activate "Multisim_Edu_PKG_140100" -serialnumber "*********" -firstname "MyName" -lastname "MyLastName" -organizationname "MyInstitution"

(I've removed the serial, name & institution info for this post)

If I run the above command without the -s, a pop-up message states "There are no licenses on your machine that need to be activated." even though the Multisim 14.1 - Schematic capture and simulation - Education Edition is most definitely not activated.

When I manually activate the software in the NI License Manager GUI I'm prompted to enter an email & password in order to complete the activation, however, the command line does not provide an option to enter an email & password. I've looked through these forums & exhausted my Google-fu & have had no luck finding a solution to this.

Ultimately I'm trying to figure out why the software isn't activating & why it's necessary to enter an email & password to complete the activation via the GUI, but not through command line?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,414 Views)

Hello 

Did you ever find a workaround for your issue?  I am running into the exact same problem.  Trying to automate activation for our multisim education installations . 

I am using the same nilmUtil command as you and I am unable to activate. As you stated there are no flags for entering a username and password.

If anyone has found a solution for automating activation any help would be appreciated. 

Thanks 

Chris

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,132 Views)

Sure did! Eventually figured out that adding a period in the "140100" part of the command fixed the activation issue. Here's the working batch file we're running in our SCCM task sequence with our information redacted:

@echo off

"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\National Instruments\shared\license manager\bin\nilmUtil.exe" -s -activate "Multisim_Edu_PKG 14.0100" -serialnumber "*********" -firstname "YourName" -lastname "YourLastName" -organizationname "YourInstitution"

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,113 Views)

For anyone using PLTW, the serial number provided in the documentation for the 20-21 school year does not activate using the above script. The serial from the previous school year, however, activates without issue. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,050 Views)