Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add info about hard gold plate to an Ultiboard design

I have some component footprints for some edge connectors some of which I wish to have the pads hard gold plated by the board house.

Is this as simple as adding a new layer called (e.g.) "Gold Top", selecting the relevant pads in the "Copper Top" layer and then Edit/Copy, switching to the "Gold Top" layer and Edit/Paste?  I've a nasty feeling it doesn't work quite like that.

Oh yes, and how do I add a completely new PCB layer the PCB Properties "General Layers" tab didn't seem to allow that.

Thanks

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,015 Views)

Hey david_c_partridge,

I think the Best Practices in PCB Design would be a good place to start. There's a specific section on Finalizing for Fabrication in Ultiboard that might be worth checking out.

How to Setup a Multi-layer Design in NI Ultiboard should answer the second question. There should be further information in the manual for Ultiboard Fundamentals.

Hope this gives you a good place to start looking! 
Rebecca

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,959 Views)

I read all of that stuff and sadly it was no help at all.

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,956 Views)

Hi Dave,

Were you not able to add a new layer in via the PCB Properties?

Capture.PNG

In general the material for a layer would be something you would let the manufacturer know so I don't see an issue with adding a new layer "Gold Top" as you suggested! 

KR,

Rebecca

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,945 Views)

I was trying to add these via the General Layers tab, into the same section as Silkscreen and SolderMask, and couldn't see how to achieve that.

Thanks, Dave

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,941 Views)

Hi Dave,

Have you contacted your PCB supplier?

They can best describe how they want the data to look like.

I haven't done any hard gold edge connectors yet, but I'm curious to know how it should be defined.

My supplier has this rule:

For gold connectors do not place any plated holes (PTH), SMD or other pads closer than 2.00mm (80mil) to the gold fingers 

http://www.eurocircuits.com/blog/Gold-plating-for-edge-connectors/

They don't metion the exact way to define it in the gerber data?

I can ask, but most of the staff is probably on holiday

succes!

Stressed user

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,902 Views)