Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Account Password Compromise

Solved!
Go to solution

I have just recieved a notification from Apple Inc. that there has been a "data leak" of my Multisim credentials.

The message states that, "This password has appeared in a dat leak, which puts this account at high risk of compromise. You should change your password immediately."

Has anyone else been notified of this and if so, what information has been leaked?

If Apple Inc.is correct, shouldn't users have been notified of this "data leak"?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(1,061 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Justin81

There has not been a data leak on multisim.com. We use best practices and cannot be the source of this password compromise.

You probably saw a message similar to this:

apple-image.jpg

That means the mapping between your multisim.com password and the hash was discovered and ended up on Apple's list of compromised passwords. But the source of where Apple received that password could have come from anywhere. If it's a fairly unique password that no one else would have thought of, most likely you are using that password in other places.

We suggest using a stronger password.

Vicentiu
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(1,029 Views)

@Justin81 wrote:

The message states that, "This password has appeared in a dat leak, which puts this account at high risk of compromise. You should change your password immediately."

That text sounds sufficiently garbled broken English* to suspect that this is a phishing email from somebody masquerading as Apple. Don't click on any links!!!! Carefully inspect the message header. (note that the FROM: field can be absolutely anything and is not validated). Did the message pass more stringent controls such as DKIM, SPF, DMARC, etc.

*note: even if the text is proper English, the message can still be malicious, of course!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(1,004 Views)

That’s exactly the same warning I got.

I was of the belief that when Apple notifies users about a saved password leak pertaining to a specific company's account that Apple was informing users that the password and the account itself was compromised, not just the password.

Thanks for explaining that the Apple notice is specifically with respect to a password and not also the account it relates to, Vicentiu.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(984 Views)

@altenbach wrote:

@Justin81 wrote:

That was a typographical error on my behalf. That should have read data leak not 'dat leak".

The notification was through Apple's Password iOS as per Vicentiu's post.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(979 Views)

Those password databases only contain a user name and password. They are not specific to any service.

The password check in Chrome, Apple IOS and similar simply checks the username/password combo of any account stored in the password manager if it matches any entry in these databases.

So if you use your email address as username and a password that has been breached with that email address on any service anywhere on the internet, that password will be flagged as insecure by the IOS, Chrome and other password managers. It doesn't mean that the password was leaked by that specific service.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(885 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

Those password databases only contain a user name and password. They are not specific to any service.

The password check in Chrome, Apple IOS and similar simply checks the username/password combo of any account stored in the password manager if it matches any entry in these databases.

So if you use your email address as username and a password that has been breached with that email address on any service anywhere on the internet, that password will be flagged as insecure by the IOS, Chrome and other password managers. It doesn't mean that the password was leaked by that specific service.

In that case, we have a problem!

The email address and password combination used for Multisim is unique.

If the password is detected in isolation (without the user email associated with my account in Multisim) by Apple, and does not associate the email that correlates with it, then there is no issue.

If Apple's warning to an email address with correlating password, then I can only initially see one possible cause (not including a security breach at Apple).

Either way, I'll change my password and see if this happens again in the future.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(875 Views)

I just updated my iOS to the latest version (I skipped an update) and suddenly see several breached password warnings. So Apple seems to have changed something.

It’s all about throwaway online accounts where I sometimes reused a specific password (not easily guessable but yes I reused it). So.iOS recently changed what they consider a breached password, apparently taking it literally and flagging any password that appears in those databases independent of the account name (for throwaway accounts I often use a username that contains the site name so I could see who sold their email addresses).

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(844 Views)