Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

45 degrees rotation in Multisim

Hi
I would like to rotate components in 45 degrees increments. Are we stuck to 90 degrees rotations? That would suck...

Message 1 of 17
(21,516 Views)

Hi

Unfortuantely as you mentioned the rotations are limited to 90 degree increments.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(21,472 Views)

Well then, I have another question related that is touching probably a feature much desired.

How about some sort of intelligent beautify function of the schematic?

Let me explain what I am thinking about. Let's say you reverse engineered a schematic from a PCB. Obviously after drawing all the connections between components, you lose A LOT of time beautifying the schematic, that means rearranging the components so they form meaningful, easy to read blocks with minimum length / clutter / intersection of connections. 

It looks like no software company sees that need during the layout of schematic. It is doable, as we see in auto-arranging the components when tracing the routes for PCB.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(21,461 Views)

Auto-arranging the components in PCB layout is rather a question of functionality. "Beautifiying" a schematic diagram is something different since readability is also involved. 

Also, Multisim is not the strongest software of all schematic design packages, there are more powerful programs but AFAIK none of them provides a feature to "auto arrange" components in a schematic. 

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(21,334 Views)
"Also, Multisim is not the strongest software of all schematic design packages, there are more powerful programs" Do you refer strictly to schematic design? No simulation capability? What is your top 3 software?
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(21,307 Views)

Hi,

I tried making the bridge configuration with resistors.

I worked well as you can see...

You need to make a new part where the resistor is under an angle, and connect it with zero lenght pins...

about 'beautiying' schematics, An older engineer (even older than me) once told me:

A schematic must be easy to read: when your lying under a machine in half-dark conditions, you should immediately see how things work.

Succes!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(21,202 Views)

Hi,

It is even possible with connections under 45° ...

never underestimate the possibilities of Multism/Ultiboard!

succes!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(21,199 Views)
Well done! But isn't a shame NI didn't provide by default a setting and a shortcut to rotate some basic parts CW/CCW? If you can suggest this new feature to NI design team, please do it. I am new and don't know where to apply. As for the 'beautify schematics' feature... again, why nobody thought of it? or if thought, why treated it with indifference? It might take hours to fiddle parts/connections/labels/etc. and make a bigger schematic readable... Doesn't NI want to shine?
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(21,171 Views)

Here's the multisim file (v10) with the 45 ° angle resistor

succes!

Message 9 of 17
(19,970 Views)

"Also, Multisim is not the strongest software of all schematic design packages, there are more powerful programs" Do you refer strictly to schematic design? No simulation capability? What is your top 3 software?"

Although this posting is almost 1 year old, I think it deserves an answer. 

We have been working with Eagle for many years and I found the schematics editor much more powerful than the Multisim error. Ever tried to attach a label to a wire/connection on Multisim? Well, it places labels ... but it places them automatically and they cannot be moved. Nor can you duplicate the labels. So it is not possible to place a designator (attached to a connection - I know you can place plain text but this cannot be moved together with the connection) to, say, the signal source end of a connection and the receiving end of the connection. I usually place a lot of lables so anyone can see easily which signal is on which connection. There are a few more issues ... You can see quite easily that the Eagle people have a much better understanding of conventinal CAD systems than the Multisim people who designed their software rather for educational purposes. 

On the other hand, Eagle does not incorporate simulation. It has an interface to simulation software, but you cannot do simulation in the editor. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 17
(19,967 Views)