Multisim and Ultiboard

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D Preview suddenly stopped working/repeated Ultiboard crashes

I'm running Ultiboard on a moderately powered PC with integrated graphics and Win10. This machine is not my choice, it's what the company provided me with.

This machine has been powerful enough to work with Ultiboard competently, including allowing the 3D preview function to scroll layouts smoothly. Then, one day, this function no longer works and Ultiboard seems to crash frequently. I feel that this happened soon after a round of updates (Specifically, the anniversary update) that were pushed to the machine, but I'm unable to confirm this and my IT people have no experience troubleshooting this kind of problem.

Are there any known issues with recent Windows 10 updates and Ultiboard? The program is unusable with the constant crashes and 3D preview problem.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,063 Views)

hi bwalker, sometimes the updates produce some trouble, which ultiboard version do you run?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,028 Views)

Hi. The trouble started with version 14.0.

I updated to 14.1 and applied all of the patches offered to me from the installer, and the trouble is still there. The About box states that I'm currently running 14.1.0 (14.1.31), Database version 14.0.a

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,024 Views)

Hi bwalker, 

Do you happen to have the specifications of the computer you are using? One thing I noticed looking at the differences between 14.0 and 14.1 is that 14.1 requires 1 GB of RAM while 14.0 only needed 512 MB of memory (256 MB minimum). When you computer crashes have you noticed if memory usage or CPU usage is especially high?

Thanks,

ShaneK

Applications Engineering

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,013 Views)

Hi ShaneK

The computer is a generic Dell workstation: i5-3330 @ 3GHz with 6GB of RAM, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. The specs of this machine haven't changed since it was purchased a few years ago.

I checked RAM usage during a crash, I didn't see anything strange - Ultiboard was using very little memory. I don't have exact numbers but I'll try and record them next time it happens.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,011 Views)

Have you noticed a pattern?  

Can you reproduce it easily? like, open a new file/place a component/Tools/View 3D/ Crash!!

If you do, may be the functionality was not been fully tested.

Does it happen with all the projects or just with a few, if it is with just a few, it could be a component that is messing up the preview or does not have 3D layout

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,995 Views)

I can't really pin it down to any one specific thing or project beyond moving parts on the layout. I've never had it crash while creating a part or layout.

I only work with a few projects at a time, but it doesn't seem to be related to any one thing. Maybe there's something about items created in 14.0 vs. 14.1?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,982 Views)

It could very well be an update on 14.1, you could try a different computer if you have another one available, or sometimes the windows update create some weird behaviors.

To troubleshoot it, you could create a dump file when it crashes it could give us a hint about it, it is really hard to just pinpoint what could be wrong with no more information.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,967 Views)