Unfortunately there seems no way to upload an existing circuit design to multisim live. The only file extension accepted is .msjs. Trying to upload any .ms14 design is simply ignored (not even an error or warning is displayed)!
I posted the following in the main Multisim - Ultiboard forum but it was suggested I post it here. Sorry for the duplicate posting.
Digi-key and other distributors are providing schematic symbols and footprints via Ultra Librarian in many formats (e.g. OrCad, Altium, Cadence, even Eagle!!) butNOT for Multisim or Ultiboard. I have asked the Ultra Librarian people why this is and they say they have tools to support it but are having trouble getting required information from NI to complete the work and make a release.
What does it take to get Ultra Librarian the information they need? Who is the right NI contact? Why do we MS/UB users not have the same tools as the other package users?
I have worked as a contractor/consultant for many companies, many years and the number one reason there has been no demand for library of symbols, footprints, 3D models is because your potential customers have resorted to other competitors software that use Ultra Librarian. This is the first time I have ever used Multisim and Ultiboard because of that very reason which is hard to believe knowing I am a contractor/consultant.
At our company, Multisim and Ultiboard was recommended by an engineer who used this as an instructor at a University which is good for student education purposes only to learn how to make symbols, footprints, 3D models but in the real world… why not save time and money by using already existing libraries?
You should not only take note of insufficient demand… but why there is insufficient demand and why potential customers have resorted to competitors software.
Multisim is a very powerful tool and suitable for educational purposes in first courses of Engineering careers. Howevers lacks of a very simple and useful flexibility that other simulators like PSPICE or QUCS have. Is not possible to modify the variable presented in the x-axis of the Graph View!
If you perform a DC Sweep, AC Sweep or Parameter Sweep analysis is very easy to change the variable presented in the y-axis. However, there is not a way to modify the magnitude used for the x-axis. Thus, for example to plot the IV curve of a diode is not straightforward. In a circuit with a battery, resistor and a diode in series the user typically perform a DC sweep of the battery bias and plot the current vs the battery bias. However, is not possible to change the variable plotted in the x-axis to the voltage drop in the diode to visualize the IV (and threshold) of the diode.
Of course one can extract the results to an EXCEL sheet or use the IV analyzer instruments but this is not useful for educational purposes where you want to show the students similarities with the experiment performed in the breadboard of the laboratory.
In more advanced simulations sometimes the user also is interested to visualize some magnitude of the circuit vs different kind of magnitudes (voltaje, current, ...).
Therefore is required to have the possibility to allow the user to modify the variable of the x-axis for more flexibility of the simulations.
In instance where goal is to move a part a specific number of grid steps, it is useful to
select part by mouse click Left arrow
hold mouse button down
press arrow key to move in direction of arrow
Ultiboard appears with Win 10 to require several pressings before the part moves one grid. Seems that the queue for the keyboard is not flushed when left mouse button is depressed to choose part. Or interupt does not response to first buttom push.
After part moves, Ultiboard accepts the next keyboard button press. Hence, if moved say right to a location and then desire to move up. Simply press the up arrow and instantly happens.
Simple request - user interface issues of this sort make Ultiboard look like an unpolished program. Bet fix does not take many lines of code, why not make Ultiboard super intuitive, and then a state of the art tool.
We're using Multisim 13 here at the college and I'm using it to create schematics for an engineering text. I would love the following:
1. Ability to export schematics in .svg (structured vector graphics) for publication quality results. Screen captures are low res and produce larger files even when reduced to b&w.
2. Schematic text able to use subscripts. Perhaps a special character could be used to signal this (like in TeX). For example R_f means "R" with subscripted "f". Currently, I do this with two different text boxes using different font sizes and manually align them. Very inefficient.
1. Schematic: To make an option to lock REFDES during copying circuit to the new sheet.
2. Schematic: To add power bias annotation for a components.
3. Schematic: To add active probe (see CircuitMaker 2000 solution).
4. Schematic: To add operating state annotation for transistors (active, cutt-off, saturated).
5. Schematic: To set some min and max limits for a voltage, current or power (they shall be visible in Grapher when you generate the plot).
6. Simulation: To add circuit optimizer with various algorithms: Hooke and Jeeves, Levenberg-Marquardt etc.
For example: I would like to find a resitors values according to voltage limits.
7. Simulation: Current Worst Case simulation can not find right solution for a non monothonic functions, so please consider to add Hooke-Jeeves algorithm to find real min and max.
8. Simulation: To add Root Sum Squared (RSS) method.
9. Simulation: To add assymetrical tolerances option for a components (resistors, capacitors, voltage and current sources etc.)
10. Simulation: To add additional drift tolerance (aging, humidity etc.) option for a components (resistors and capacitors). Please create an option to turn ON and turn OFF additional drifts globally for a whole circuit design and for specific component.
11. Simulation: To add component stress analysis but more advanced. The goal is to check maximum dissipated power according to derating power characteristics for resistors according to current operating temperature (TEMP parameter for circuit simulation) and maximum voltage for a components (resistors, capacitors).
12. Grapher: To add histogram plots for a Monte Carlo simulation incl. table with data: MEAN, SIGMA, UCL, LCL:
Normal distribution plot
Cumulative distribution plot
13. Grapher: To add option to generate one report for Worst Case EVA, RSS and Monte Carlo.
14. Grapher: To add 3D plots (see circuit optimizer).
15. Interface: Batched analysis is fine, but it would be a good to see TEMP parameter visible in main window.
16. Interface: Fast BOM import for Excel and txt file (incl. some component parameters included value, TC1, max operating voltage and so on). For a quick changes on schematic.
17. Simulation: To add Worst Case option to Monte Carlo analysis to check ONLY endpoints values.
18. Model: To add a module that can build a component model from characteristics from datasheet (eg. to track output voltage characteristics of voltage regulator and to build behavioral model).
19. Model: To improve custom component drawing editor (make it handy and efficient like drawing schematic in Multisim). Current solution takes too much time.
The goal of these changes is to focus your product more in professional market where engineers must to find voltage/current limits according to operating temperature limits and component tolerance variation. Your product is good but it might be more oriented to perform these tasks much faster.
There are much more footprints of connectors available in Ultiboard than in Multisim. To create a correct circuit diagramm I need the same foortprints in Multisim. There are not enough connectors in Multisim.
It would be very helpful to have all the connectors in Multisim too!
We are a user of Multisim and Ultiboard and have been for many years. We have appreciated that there are user fields in the data base that we can populate with our company specific information including Part Numbers and descriptions.
Here is the Good idea . . . We would like to be able to have our Part Numbers display on schematics and appear in BOM reports and also transfer to Ultiboard. Transferring to Ultiboard is important so that the Part Numbers appear on the Centroid Output. Currently this can be done in Multisim by copying and pasting the PN into the Label field however, this a very tedious task and it leads to errors especially on large schematic designs. As for BOM reports, it is also a very tedious task that takes a long time.
With Ultiboard, this is also a manual process of copying the Part Numbers from the schematic to the Centroid output for our machine machine programs. (SMT)
This seems like these would be very useful tools for an operation who is using your software for both design and manufacturing. Please consider adding this feature to the next update.
Our company has used Multisim/Ultiboard for about seventeen years now. I wouldn't know how to calculate the opportunity cost for developing our corporate library of components, but it's safe to say it has been substantial.
Since importing component libraries would save time, I asked NI Technical Support about importing ECAD libraries.
"Unfortunately there is nothing on the roadmap for this feature right now. ECAD is certainly a requested feature and we are interested in potentially working it into the product. However, there is no any plan for a soon release."
I recommend to anyone considering purchasing PCB CAD software to consider this.
This is a great circuit simulator especially for those on tight budget, but 25 components seem low and really limits the usefulness to the free version. Some other web based simulators do not have this restriction and some have no limit on components at all. Please consider making the free version with less restrictions with this I suspect you would bring along more interest in NI in general.
This seems to have become worse and worse in recent revisions of MS and UB. When the spreadsheet is open on a net or part tab in UB or MS every time I touch a net or part or row in the spreadsheet it redraws the screens over and over and over for many many iterations before calming down. At least 3 times but sometimes as many as maybe 10 or more times. And it's not very fast either. It is becoming VERY irritating.
I've recently switched from using RS Design Spark to the NI Circuit Design Suite. In Design Spark, I used component models from componentsearchengine.com and imported them using a piece of software called Library Loader by SamecSys.
I was more than a little disappointed to learn that NI Multisim/Ultiboard is one of the few EDA's with which it is not compatible, and it's made me question whether switching to Multisim was the right choice for me.
I've contacted SamecSys to ask if there are any plans for compatibility with Multisim, and had a reply from Mark saying that he would love to make Library Loader compatible with Multisim/Ultiboard. He is ready to go with the project, but requires the co-operation of NI.
I've also contacted NI Technical Support and received the following response:
The best way for you to further this issue would be for yourself to post on the MultiSim/Ultiboard Ideas board which allows for our R&D department to see the requests of our customers. I believe a few people may have already posted about this issue but the more people that post the more likely it is for the issue to get raised!
I'm posting this request here in hope that it is seen by the right person.
Mark at SamecSys is ready to get to work with making Library Loader compatible with Multisim, he's just waiting for somebody at NI to get in touch with him and co-operate.
I am a university lexcturer and have alarge number of Multisim 14 files that I use in teaching. I try to encourage students to install Mutisim on their own computers (it is available under our site licence), but most are not happy to do this for many reason including different OSes, lack of disk space etc. etc. . However, Multisim Live is the answer - but i need to be able to transfer my design across to it.
It would also be useful for me personally as I use a Mac for most things and have to revert to a PC for MS 14 😞
Please add an import function - you already have an export function