Multisim and Ultiboard Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
m22oswald

Ultiboard - a few small suggestions

I just finished laying out 3 boards and so I have some suggestions to make things easier in the future...

1) Add a 'net' column to the SMT Pads and THT Pads tabs, to show which net the pin is attached to.  This is documented here:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Circuit-Design-Suite/Print-netlist-in-Ultiboard/m-p/3201459#M18003

It would let me see at a glance whether certain pins are actually connected to the nets they should be connected to

2) Add the ability to click on an error circle on the board and have Ultiboard highlight the error in the spreadsheet.  It works the other way around (click on the error in the spreadsheet view and you jump to the error on the board.  But it would be nice to go in the other direction.  I had problems with vias hitting incorrect traces and the spreadsheet details exactly which traces are connected, but I wanted to work on a specific problem on the board and didn't know which spreadsheet error this corresponded to.  This happened a lot.

3) Change the highlight color in the spreadsheet.  For some reason on my computer, I can barely see when a row is highlighted in the spreadsheet.  This is the same for Multisim and Ultiboard.  The background in my spreadsheet tab is white, and the highlight color is a very light gray.  If I look at the monitor at an angle so that the light hits it just right, I could see which component was highlighted.  But my neck started to hurt after awhile.

4) Have a button to turn on/off all layers at the same time.  I had an 8 layer board, and I alternated between just looking at the layer I was routing on to looking at all layers to figure out where to drop a via.  Double-clicking on each layer got very tedious.

Thanks!

3 Comments
jcham
NI Employee (retired)

Thanks for the feedback. It would be very helpful to submit separate posts for each idea so people can give each one Kudos and R&D can consider them individually. 

aa232004

Hello, thanks for response

I support #4 very much.  it is annoing to go through all layers to switch between seklect \unselect/

it would be very helpful to have 3 checkboxes in top part  of that window  - check all,  uncheckall, halfcheck (grey)  all.

with hope it helps

thanks a lot
Michael

jcham
NI Employee (retired)
Status changed to: Under Consideration