From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multisim and Ultiboard Idea Exchange

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
0 Kudos
otarva

Multisim: option for setting a desired sampling before running the analysis.

The Idea: It would be nice to be able to set a desired sampling rate for a transient simulation before starting the simulation.

Background: We need to run longish transient simulations with a reasonably small TMAX. But we don't need all the intermediate time points used solely for helping the integration to converge. Multisim claims to run out of memory after occupying somewhere around 1 GB of memory, sometimes less. This is not a OS or hardware limit, but something intrinsic to Multisim's memory handling. This behavior is more bug-like than a real limitation of the software.

The capability for resampling/interpolating is already available through the export to .lvm files (see attached figure). Although I think the memory handling issue should be solved separately, allowing Multisim to discard irrelevant time-points on the fly would spare precious memory during more demanding simulations.

1 Comment
otarva

hmm... I ran out of time to edit the original post. Here's the figure I referred to.

resampling.png