Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is single point I/O

Can someone explain what single-point I/O is? I've been reading about it a lot but don't fully understand it and it's a potential criteria in choosing the right bus for my application. Thanks a lot!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(4,497 Views)

If you are going to ask a question about something you have read, post a link to it.

What I think of single point I/O would be taking a single sample of a waveform as opposed to multiple samples with a specific time between samples so the entire waveform is captured. This is not relevant to what I would define as a 'bus' so I'm really not sure what the heck you are thinking about.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(4,479 Views)

I had that question while reading this:

"The RIO Scan Interface provides single-point updates to I/O variables at rates up to a few hundred Hertz without requiring FPGA programming."

It was from here:

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/14138/en

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(4,094 Views)

Hi Over_Nyquest,

Single-Point I/O is generally known as software timed acquisition or non-buffered acquisition. Basically, single-point I/O means that only one data point will be read in from the hardware to the software at any point in time. So data will not be placed on a buffer and then brought in to the software in chunks.

-Jake B.

Message 4 of 4
(4,068 Views)