Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usb problems with usb6009

Hallo

we have some usb problems when we have the following 4 usb devices connected to the same  usb controler(We use only one device at the same time).
  • "usb6009"
  • "ids ueye" usb camera
  • two selfmade optical spectrometer with usb Highspeed.
After a while the usb connection to some of the none NI devices will stop working.

If we isolate the USB 6009 device to a separate controler all connection problems are solved.

Can any one explain this behavior? Or even better tell use how to work without an extra controler?

Thanks

Babak

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,154 Views)

What version of DAQmx (or DAQmx Base) are you using?

The USB-6009 has been tested with both the "Chapter 9" compliance test and "Gold Tree" compliance test issued by USB-IF.  These tests are designed to help ensure interoperability.  Do you know if the self-made device (or even the USB camera) pass these tests? 

Amazingly some USB Logo'ed hubs can have problems as well.  What brand/model USB hub are you using - have you tried with a different hub?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,152 Views)
Hallo

we are using DAQmx 8.1.

I don't know anything about any compliance test of the other usb Devices.

We made tests with different configurations:
  • All Devices were connected directly to the board internal Hub (intel board).
  • We had different configurations with some noname Hubs.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,145 Views)
Hi,

I don´t think that it is Problem with the NI-DAQ driver. I think the controller can´t spend so many ressources for these 4 technical devices which are hanging on these bus. You should take care about the maximum "Hi-Speed"-Rate of 480 Mbit/s per Controller.

Hi-speed devices are advertised as "up to 480 Mb/s", but don't actually operate at that full theoretical (60 MBytes/s) data throughput rate. The maximum rate currently (2006) attained with real devices is about half, 30 MB/s. Most hi-speed USB devices typically operate at much slower speeds, often about 3MB/s overall, sometimes up to 10-20 MB/s. But you have four of them.

Perhaps you should consider about changing the USB-Bus to a PCI-Bus. We have a couple of Multifunction Devices which meets your needs I think!

Best regards
Alex 
Message 4 of 4
(3,122 Views)