From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

usb 5133 pfi1output pulse

I am just starting to learn Labview, and I am trying to produce an output pulse from the PFI1 port of the USB5133 Hi Speed Digitizer. I have not had any success as of yet. Any help would be appreciated.

The location of tutorial information/ examples concerning the USB 5133 would also be appreciated.

George D
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,845 Views)

Hi George,

I understand that you are using the USB-5133 digitizer; do you want to generate the pulse when you start or stop acquisition? Or based on what event do you want to generate this pulse? It would be helpful if you can give us more details about what you are trying to accomplish. You can use the NI-Scope Export Signal VI to generate the pulse in the PFI1 line. But look on the USB-5133 Routing Matrix the specific signals that can be exported. The Help for the USB-5133 can be found by going to Start > Programs > National Instruments > NI-SCOPE > Documentation > NI High Speed Digitizers Help. There, under Devices you can find the NI 5132/5133 Overview. I hope this is helpful,

Ana P
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,836 Views)
Hi Ana,

Thanks for getting back to me.

I put togethet the attached vi (scope from scratch) in an attempt to have the 5133 send out a pulse (on PFI1) and then collect, display, and store the collected data to disk. The data collection is started by a trigger level on ch 0. The data collection, display and storage work. Producing a pulse out of PFI1 worked twice out of about ten tries. I noticed that the pulse out of PFI1 was about 100 nanoseconds wide and about 3 Volts in magnitude. Is there a way to change the duration/magnitude of the output pulse form PFI1? Is there any way to reliably produce the pulse?

Thank you for your time and effort.

George Drouant

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,823 Views)

Hi George,

The parameters of the pulse generated by the PFI1 line are correct, if you verify in the 5133 Specifications  the Logic Type of the Output pulse is 3.3. V CMOS, and the Minimum Pulse Width is 100 ns. I understand it is not possible to programmatically change the duration/magnitude of that pulse. Regarding a way to reliable produce that pulse, I noticed in your VI that you Initiate the Acquisition and then Fetch the Waveform, but you don’t close the Scope session at the end of your application. I suggest using the niScope Close.vi at the end of your application, when you are finished using the instrument driver session. I hope this is helpful,

Ana P
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,812 Views)