Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

triggering on pci 6120

Hi there,

Ive got a PCI 6120 daq card connected to a BNC-2090A. Im trying to get digital triggering working using a PFI pin and its beating me. I used to run the same system with a usb 6211 and it worked fine but since i "upgraded" to this new system i cant get the triggering to work any more. The labview program uses the start digital edge vi to configure it for triggering.

Ive tried using test panels on the counter tab with channel name set to ctr0, mode to edge counting and source to PFI1, then i just tap 5v onto the pin but that doesnt seem to work either.

Anyone know what im doing wrong..

Mike
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,804 Views)

Hi Mike,

I'm slightly confused as to why this isn't working for you. I'm presuming you've checked the pin number on the 6120 (this relates to pfi1) so it's difficult to see why you can't get the device to trigger correctly. The BNC connector is definitely compatible with S series cards, and seeing that you've tried a 5v signal on the pin eliminates the possibility of this being the problem anyway. However, did you connect the signal directly to the pin on the card itself, or on the cable? Is the cable the same as what's reccomended on our website as listed here:

http://sine.ni.com/nips/cds/view/p/lang/en/nid/11943

The act that you've been using both a LabVIEW example and MAX  indicates that it's definitely a hardware issue so what i'll try and do is get a similar configuration setup here and see if I experience the same problem. If I don't, I think it must be an issue with the card or the cable that you are using.

Let me know any thoughts and I'll get back to you when I have more info.

Rob L

NI Applications Engineer

UK & Ireland

It only takes a click to rate this message 😉
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,789 Views)
Hi Rob,

Happy new year. I've just been going through testing the card using the pinout. So far i've done the AO's and P0 and both of those seem to be working fine.

I'm definatey using the triggering test panel right arent i, these are the settings im using.

channel name: Dev1/ctr0
mode: edge counting
edge source: /Dev1/PFI1

im not doing anything with the counter, litterally all im doing is tapping a wire connected between one of the 5V pins and PFI1, i tried PFI0 aswell.

Ive not tried tapping 5v on the pins on the connector on the card itself.. i suppose its possible that the wires connecting the PFI pins are broken or not connected for some reason.

all the best
Mike
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,737 Views)

Hi Mike,

My apologies that I haven't got back to you, unfortunately I've been out  of the office a while so haven't had chance to reply. I've been trying everything to get my hands on a 6120 but we simply don't have any here at the moment. Although I can replicate the other parts of the system, this is obviously the critical part! It's definitely something to do with the card or the cable Mike because tapping a 5V signal on the PFI0 line should be seen by the counter circuitry, it really is strange behaviour. As long as you have the correct pin numbers for the PFI0 line and have it setup like below (which I know you have done as you've stated earlier), then the values should be read.

If you cannot get it to count by directly tapping the pin on the card, I would give NI a ring, perhaps through your Sales representative.

Sorry I can't be of more help at this time Mike,

Best wishes

Rob L

NI Applications Engineer

UK & Ireland

It only takes a click to rate this message 😉
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,705 Views)