Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

traditional channel versus physical channel

I am in the process of upgrading my measurement system to LabVIEW 7 Express and NI-DAQ 7.0. I uninstalled LabVIEW 6.0 and NI-DAQ 6.9.3 and then installed LabVIEW 7 Express and NI-DAQ 7.0. In the Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX), before i used pci-mio-16E-4 and my new PCI-6451 multifunction card is verified and confirmed. i only opened physical channels. İ have written some daq programs in labview 6.0 . when i want to run these under labview 7.1. it can not see the channels. what can i do ?
In LabVIEW 6.0 with pci-mio-16E-4, I created virtual channels. but in 7.1 with PCI-6451, it only allows me to create physical channels.What is the source of this problem?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(3,156 Views)
Hello,

Thank you for contacting National Instruments.

First, what kind of device do you have? I cannot find any information on a PCI-6451.

You should be able to create virtual channels for any NI device from Measurement and Automation Explorer (MAX). Do you receive any errors when you try to create a channel?

Please let me know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Sean C.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(3,133 Views)
sorry, i made a mistake. I have PCI-6251 M typr daq card. i attach my example program written in LAbVIEW 6.1. you see that the channels cannot be seen when you want to run the program. how can i modify this?
thank you for all...
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(3,120 Views)
now i am using labVIEW 7.1
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,120 Views)
Hello,

Ok, I see what is happening. Your original VI is written in Traditional NI-DAQ. The new M Series cards are only supported in DAQmx.

In the future, you will need to write your applications with the newer DAQmx driver to make use of your M Series card. However, since you already have this VI written in Traditional NI-DAQ, you can make use of the Traditional NI-DAQ Compatibility VIs. These VIs allow you to run LabVIEW applications written in Traditional NI-DAQ on devices that are only supported by NI-DAQmx.

These VIs can be downloaded at: http://digital.ni.com/softlib.nsf/954feaeea92d90918625674b00658b83/9d67f671bcc6850586256e630059308b?OpenDocument

Please follow the instructions on the download page to install these VIs.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,

Sean C.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(3,111 Views)
Hi,

I am having the same problem. I just got a PCI-6221 and I am trying to use some Labview 6.1 code that I wrote. I upgraded to LabView 7.1 and I installed the Traditional NI-DAQ Compatibility VIs 1.3 but still I cannot create any traditional virtual channels. I did try to change the mx device name to "1". Any idea?

Thanks,
Andrea
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,000 Views)
Hello Andrea,

Virtual Channels are not supported with the Compatibility VIs. Refer to the CompatibilityVIs.chm Help file for more information on the features and devices that are supported. This help file is posted with the Compatibility VI installation files. Once the Compatibility VIs are installed, a copy of the help file is posted to the vi.lib/Daq/Compatibility VIs Backup Files folder in the LabVIEW directory. A link to this
help file is also installed to the National Instruments\NI-DAQ directory of the Start Menu.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Sean C.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,981 Views)