From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

signal generation with DAQ

Hi all, many posts talk about the possibility of signal generation by using a multifunctional DAQ, but it is not yet very clear to me. Just to fix ideas, refer to a generic mDAQ (6363 for example, I have not it, but I will :-)) if I want to generate a simple sine wave, what is the max frequency it can generate? 10k? 100K? 1MHz? Thank you !

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,242 Views)

To start with, the spec sheet for the device shows a max sample rate of 2.86 MS/sec for single-channel analog output.  It lowers as you add more output channels, though not proportionally.

The next consideration is the # of samples per sine wave cycle.  Too few makes a waveform that isn't very sine-like.  I would generally aim for at least 20, though that still isn't especially smooth.

Finally, you need to figure out whether you will regenerate the same wave over and over or whether you will change it on the fly.  If the latter, you need to account for the need to calculate and feed the task buffer with fresh data at your sample rate (on average). 

With a 6363 type device, I'd venture you could regenerate a decent sine wave of up to about 100-150 kHz.   That kind of ballpark.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,141 Views)