Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sbRIO 9636 RESET Switch Interface needs

The sbRIO 9636 has two pads near the RESET Switch.  See Figures 2-6, etc. within the OEM OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS AND SPECIFICATIONS.

I received the confirmation below from an NI Applications Engineer (Reference#2146323) that shorting these two pins will generate a RESET:

2) Regarding RESET Switch (10): Is this a provision to add a connector to allow an External RESET switch and or Watchdog circuit to reboot the sbRIO processor? 
This is also correct. This switch can be toggled to reset the sbRIO, or an external button/switch can be connected to the two small inserts next to this onboard switch to reset the sbRIO. Shorting these two small connector inserts will reset the RIO, so if you would like to have external circuitry that does this, you should have no problem.

I am trying to wrap up the design of my external watchdog circuitry and need to answers to the following:

Is the RESET switch a simple Pull-down for a Logic Level Input, such that if I were to attach the Open Collector and Emitter of an NPN Transistor across these pads in the correct polarity, I would be able to perform a Hard RESET on the sbRIO?  If so, can please tell me if Pin 1 or 2 is the Pull-up, what Resistor value is being used and to what Voltage level?  Also, can you please tell me what the pin spacing is and what the plated diameter is for these two pads?

Any assistance that you can provide is appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(3,879 Views)

Hello,

The pads near the reset switch (Ref Des W504) were a luck line for a provisional remote reset switch.  The reason you don't find it clearly documented is it hasn't ever been fully validated or characterized.  It was only intended to be considered in situations with custom engineering support.

I have a feeling the behaviour you are trying to create could be implemented in a straightforward and readily supported way with standard FPGA DIO lines and/or the System Reset FPGA IO Node.

It sounds like this issue has been frustrating you for a while.  I'll send you a personal message with contact information to make sure I understand what you are trying to solve and determine if the System Reset IO Node is the right solution for your application.

Regards,

Spex
National Instruments

To the pessimist, the glass is half empty; to the optimist, the glass is half full; to the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be has a 2x safety factor...
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(3,862 Views)