Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

samplingrate myDAQ DMM

Hi,

does any one know the possible samplingrate of the DMM-input ?(not the 'normal' analog inputs). I leared that it is possible to use also the DMM-input in a VI.

Reason: I want to do a DC-current measurement with logging. A samplerate of 1 kHz would be great, but I'm not sure if this is possible. I can't find anything about this in the manual.

thanks,

Georg

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,787 Views)

Hi Georg,

the myDAQ is shipped with a DMM-function, that is true.

I've look in the manual by myself. Unfortunately, the sampling rate are not specified.
The chip, which is used to implement the DMM function doesn't specify a sampling rate for the DMM. The only information, which i can give you, is that the sampling rate of the DMM is approximately 1 Hz. It is definitly not fast enough for a 1 kHz measurement.

Regards,

Stephan

Message 2 of 6
(3,771 Views)

Hi Stephan,

thanks for the reply. Not the answer I wanted 😉

Ok, so I have to find another solution.

Thanks ones again,

Georg

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,758 Views)

You can use a small resistor as a current sense.  I typically use a 0.1 Ohm resistor to sense the current of a circuit.  So the current would be I = V/0.1 = V*10.  You can even setup a DAQmx scale in MAX so that the voltage is automatically converted into your current for you.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 4 of 6
(3,754 Views)

Thanks for the input, crossrulz,

I will test this. I only have to take care about the max. power of the resistant, isn't it ? But with only 0.1 Ohms, this is quite low...

regards, Georg

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,748 Views)

@Sworks wrote:

Thanks for the input, @crossrulz

I will test this. I only have to take care about the max. power of the resistant, isn't it ? But with only 0.1 Ohms, this is quite low...

regards, Georg

I should clearify a couple of things.  You will want the current shunt to be on the return side of the circuit (low common mode voltage so you don't blow up your card).  The wattage of the shunt resistor does need meet your power requirements.  If you are expecting, for example, 10A, then you will want P = I*I*R = 10*10*0.1 = 10W and your DAQ voltage will be V = I*R = 10*0.1 = 1V.  Some circuits care about this voltage drop, so be careful about that.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,742 Views)