Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

running DAQ E6024E under linux, how to compile the drivers?

I got the great problem to compile the drivers for DAQ 6024E. I downloaded NI-DAQmx Base driver software but it doesn compile everything under Fedora 3. It sais "install cannotstat './objects/nirlpdrvk.o'"
However, the commands:
daqmxbase_listdevices returns: "NI: 6024E "Dev1" (PXIO::9::0)"
lsdaq returns:
"_____________________________________
Detecting National Instruments DAQ Devices
Found the following DAQ Devices:
NI 6024E: "Dev1" (PXIO::9::0)
_____________________________________"
mxbaseconfig does run and it appears to be working but when I want to run nidatalogger it runs but when I say it should start (play, execute, whatever you call that) it says there isn any device, but in the list there it is. So I went to /usr/local/natinst/nidaqmxbase/etc/init.d and executed ./nidaqmxbase -start and it returned:
"error: lib/modules/2.6.9-1.667/kernel/natinst/nidaqmxbase/nirlpdrvk.o not found"
What could I do to solve this problem?
is this the cause of the problem of nidatalogger?

Thanx, please hel me!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,942 Views)
Alan,

Couple of things:

NI-DAQmx Base is not tested under Fedora. The compatible Linux enviroments are:

SUPPORTED PLATFORMS (Minimum System)
x86 System
256 MB Memory
300 MB Disk Space
Kernel versions 2.4.* only on the following distributions:
Red Hat 7.2 or later
SuSE 8.0 or later

This could be related to the problem.

Also, you may want to try to run an example program instead of the DataLogger. This will tell you if there's a problem specific to the DataLogger.

Regards,
Anuj d.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,933 Views)
With latest Red Hat Linux and a E series card (PCI-6071E), I have the same symptoms ( lsdaq and mxbaseconfig see the card but LabVIEW vi's and prebuilt datalogger doesn't as witnessed by error 15 , resource not found ). However using a USB 6009 instead it all works fine. So it seems daqmxbase 1.4 (despite the documentation) doesn't work in Linux with E series cards. Curiously, daqmx BASE in windows doesn't work with e series cards either (undocumented ?). Somebody please prove me wrong on either gotcha.

In brainstorming what workaround might do the trick I'm wondering if
installing a different version of daqmxbase (1.3 instead of 1.4) might work. The theory being
the USB 6009 wasn't around back then so maybe 1.4 broke support for E series ?

Comments ? Workarounds ?

Also, I believe the .o issue Alan_Boege mentioned has to do with not choosing support for C in daqmxbase install.
Doesn't matter in LabVIEW / NI supplied standalone datalogger exeuctable that was obviously made with LabVIEW.

Best,
Davy Baker
GAMI
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,884 Views)
NI-DAQmx Base consists of two totally different parts. The USB devices (9211, 9215, 6008, 6009) work through NI-VISA. They do not use a kernel module of any kind. This is why they will work even if the kernel module is not installed (say like on a 2.6 kernel).
The other part is for PCI devices. For the kernel module to install, you need the kernel sources for your current kernel installed and the kernel needs to be 2.4.*. I have run or seen it run on Red Hat 7.2, 7.3, 9.0, and SuSE 8.0 and 9.0. The most common mistake in all of this is not having the kernel sources installed. When you run the install script, we leave all of the make errors visible because it could be many things that could cause the kernel module to not compile and load. By letting that information be printed, we hope that the problem can be resolved.

Please try installing all of the kernel sources and then going to /usr/local/natinst/nidaqmxbase/src and run as root:
make
make install

These are the instructions that the installer says to do if the kernel module will not compile.

Randy Hoskin
Measurements RLP (NI-DAQmx Base)
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,867 Views)