From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

retriggerable buffered pulse train generation with X-series

Dear all,

Can something like this be done with an X-series board? I want to generate a finite pulse train of let's say six pulses, of variable duration from one of the timer/counters on a PCIe-6353, which will be used as an external clock to drive an analog output pattern. No problem here with buffered pulse train generation but I also want this pulse train to be delivered each time an external trigger is sent to the counter gate.

In other words, are STC-3 counters capable of retriggerable, buffered finite pulse train generation? I may have missed the info in the X-series manual.

Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,748 Views)

Hi Victor65,

Yes, you may use the X Series counters to generate a retriggerable finite pulse train.

The X Series manual does mention this capability in the section regarding Counter Triggering (page 7-50😞

For counter output operations, a start trigger can be configured to begin a finite or continuous pulse generation. Once a continuous generation has triggered, the pulses continue to generate until you stop the operation in software. For finite generations, the specified number of pulses is generated and the generation stops unless you use the retriggerable attribute. When you use this attribute, subsequent start triggers cause the generation to restart.

When using a start trigger, the start trigger source is routed to the Counter n Gate signal input of the counter

An example of how to configure this in DAQmx (I'm assuming you are using LabVIEW, but the other APIs are similar) can be found here.

Best Regards,

John Passiak
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,733 Views)