From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

resistance measurement with USB-6009

Solved!
Go to solution

I'm trying to measure the resistance of a photoresistor by using the USB-6009. There is a 'resistance' option in DAQ assistant but it doesn't seem to display the right values. Here is what I'm doing:

Connections: GND------photoresistor------ai0

I'm really not sure if this is right but I assumed it could measure resistance just like a multimeter. I didn't try doing a voltage divider and using ohms law.

DAQ Assistant Settings: I 'add channel' by using the blue plus button, and choose 'resistance'. Then I choose ai0 under USB-6009. I adjust max and min values and read it continuously. First problem, the reading is usually negative and it flickers a lot. I read about -1.3k when I do this with a regular 10k resistor (not a photoresistor)

Obviously there is something wrong, but I'm very new to all this and can't figure it out by myself. Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,866 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author cartonn30gel

The 6009 can not measure resistance like a multimeter unless you are proving a current source like the default assistant is setup for. By itself, it can only measure voltage. So, use a voltage divider.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,860 Views)

I have used voltage divider circuit to find out an unknown resistance. However, it still fluctuates and not giving a correct ans. Let me know any solution regarding this problem.

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,546 Views)

Well, the 6009 input circuit is 'tricky', see pic from manual. Resulting in an input impedance of ~144kOhm.   If you measure with a voltage divider with a 6009 you should add a voltage buffer (one OP amp and a buffer cap) or use some math to compensate the input impedance.

However you can connect a resistor between AI and GND  (or AI and +5V) and measure the resistance 🙂    the rest is analog circuit math 😄  ..  including the possible resolution and resistor range  😉     . So it is possible to measure (certain) resistors with the 6009 without other circuitry ... but it's not the intended use and not supported by the driver.

6009 input.png

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,541 Views)