Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

relay for use with USB 6009

Hello
I would like to control a Red Hat solenoid valve with the USB 6009 (Very neat and economical multifunction DAQ!). The USB 6009 has some digital output lines specified as TTL. Can someone advise me as to a suitable relay for a 120V AC valve with a 6Watts power consumption?
Thanks John Brohan
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,594 Views)
The following figure in "USER GUIDE USB-6008/6009" is useful for you. And you have mention the maximum current, 8mA for selecting relay. Please see P21 in the user guide, you get detail information of the specification.

Figure:
"Figure 13. Example of Connecting a Load"

USB-6008/6009 User Guide:
http://digital.ni.com/manuals.nsf/websearch/84D33F396EA5C8A286256F51007A7078?opendocument
Message 2 of 6
(3,582 Views)
Thanks d_touch
I had not seen this User Manual for the 6009 it's really good.
Thanks for your help
John
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(3,574 Views)
The relays I've seen seem to need more current( 10 to 20 mA) than the USB 6009 can actually produce (about 2mA). Any pointers? I expect it can be done with a transistor to amplify the current, but I'd pregfer a one-box solution.
Yours Sincerely
John
www.tradersmicro.com
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(3,565 Views)
Hello John,

You will either have to find relays that require less current, or purchase a more powerful DAQ device. Keep in mind that the USB-6009 is a low-cost solution that simply does not have a lot DIO power. Most PCI devices can source that much current.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

Sincerely,
Sean C.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(3,544 Views)
John,
Here is the simple solution to your problem. You can tie two or more ports together which to get higher current capacity.Make sure you use the 4.7k pull up resistor after tieing them together.Then output all the tied ports together as if it is one port. In your case if you need 20ma you can tie-up 3 ports for 24ma capacity.
Warning!!!! You have to turn all the ports ON or OFF at one time otherwise it may burn the board.

Kanwar
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(3,455 Views)