cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reanimation of an old measuring system with LabView 8.6 - DAQmx driver missing

Solved!
Go to solution

dear community,

I am trying to reanimate an old measuring system, built in 2007-2009. It was in storage for 10 years.

It was programmed in LabView 8.6. To see if the system is still working I tryed the installation and it worked on Windows 10. I can open the old software.

However, I obviously lack drivers for the DAQ: USB-6251. That's why I can't start a "run" with the software.

On the NI homepage I am sent to the DAQ download page.

But which driver do I need for the DAQ USB-6251? - And is it still available for download on the homepage?

thanks for your time,

rs

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(980 Views)
Solution
Accepted by regian

For USB-6251, you need the DAQmx drivers, but given it was written in LV8.6, I'm skeptical whether it would have used the DAQmx drivers or the Legacy DAQ drivers.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(954 Views)
Solution
Accepted by regian

I'm old-timer enough to declare:

Fear not, it would have been using the DAQmx driver even back then.  M-series devices (the 62xx series) were never supported under the legacy DAQ driver.

Remaining sticking points:

- you need a driver version that supports the device.  This part shouldn't be a major problem.

- you need your driver version to support the LabVIEW development version you intend to use while "reanimating".  If you only have the 8.6 license, you may need to revert to a much older DAQmx version.  LabVIEW 8.6 predates the switch to the versioning convention based on calendar years

- you'd want (and maybe need) OS support for the DAQmx driver and LabVIEW version.   This is where things could get troublesome.  If you're stuck at LabVIEW 8.6, you may find that you should *also* revert to Windows 7.   Now it's true that some combos of OS / LV version / DAQmx that aren't officially "supported" may still work, according to anecdotal reports.  But it could be a risky place to land.

-Kevin P

CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 3 of 7
(945 Views)
Solution
Accepted by regian

Another old-timer here!

LabVIEW 8.6 looks to work with DAQmx v8.8 through 9.5.1 per the link at the bottom of this page:
https://www.ni.com/en-us/support/documentation/compatibility/16/ni-daqmx-and-labview-compatibility.h...

So follow the other two points of Kevin's: driver to support the device along with OS compatibility.

-AK2DM

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"It’s the questions that drive us.”
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Message 4 of 7
(939 Views)

Hi there,

Thank you for your input!

Unfortunately, no one can really remember and the programmer is long gone.

The device was used until around 2011, but the programmer was no longer there. I think that after 2009 no one made any major changes (or could...).

I checked the version list for version 8.6 and NI offers the DAQ drivers up to version 9.0...that's what I've tried now.

The program opened and no longer threw a DAQ error. The test on Monday will show if it really works...

greetings

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(910 Views)

Hi,

Thank you for the Input!

Fear not, it would have been using the DAQmx driver even back then.  M-series devices (the 62xx series) were never supported under the legacy DAQ driver.

-> important hint - thanks!

Remaining sticking points:

- you need a driver version that supports the device.  This part shouldn't be a major problem.

- you need your driver version to support the LabVIEW development version you intend to use while "reanimating".  If you only have the 8.6 license, you may need to revert to a much older DAQmx version.  LabVIEW 8.6 predates the switch to the versioning convention based on calendar years

-> I checked the version list for version 8.6 and NI offers the DAQ drivers up to version 9.0...that's what I've tried now.

The program opened and no longer threw a DAQ error. The test on Monday will show if it really works...

- you'd want (and maybe need) OS support for the DAQmx driver and LabVIEW version.   This is where things could get troublesome.  If you're stuck at LabVIEW 8.6, you may find that you should *also* revert to Windows 7.   Now it's true that some combos of OS / LV version / DAQmx that aren't officially "supported" may still work, according to anecdotal reports.  But it could be a risky place to land.

-> As soon as it's running again, I'll try to apply for a retrofit ... at some point it'll have to be reprogrammed with the latest software. ... I hope that it at least runs without errors for the time being ... our IT was not so happy with the old driver and Windows 10/11 and is watching the whole thing.

greetings

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(908 Views)

Hi,

Thanks for the link!

I checked the version list for version 8.6 and NI offers the DAQ drivers up to version 9.0...that's what I've tried now.

greetings

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(907 Views)