Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reading multi chan differential voltage w NI 9209: all channels read similar voltages

Hello everyone,

I used to use simple NI USB-6009 to acquire voltage signals from sensors. Fairly simple, never failed me.

Now needing more than 4 analog voltage inputs in differential mode, I have switched to a NI 9209 module (connected to a 1-slot cDAQ-9171 chassis) with a screw terminal accessory on top of it.

According to guidelines, I have connected (for testing) a 9V battery to chan 0 in differential mode (AI0 - AI8 which correspond to pin 1 and 20) (see https://www.ni.com/pdf/manuals/376909d.pdf page 11). And I locate chan 2 in differential mode (AI2 - AI10 which correspond to pin 3 and 22)

IMG_20210205_185719.jpg

no problem reading 1 channel at a time with NI MAX. When I connect the 9V battery to chan 0, clear signal . When I connect it to any other channels without reading it, no signal on chan 0. Perfect.

Then I make a very simple VI to read 2 channels at the same time to test if I can read 9V on chan 0 and 0V on chan 2 and vice versa.

picture 1.png

And here you can see the problem: I do read about 9V stable on chan 0, but there is an awful parasitic signal on chan 2. And if I connect the 9V battery to the chan 2, the exact inverse happens. If I connect the 9V battery to chan 1 that is not read in the VI, nothing: 0V on both channels with a clear signal.

So it is not just a shortcut or bad shielding in between the channels, I think it is a multiplexing problem.

What do you think?

Have I missed something in the VI that would prevent from such problem?

Thanks for your help. I have tried several things, google a lot, but I have not found a solution to that.

Regards

Hicham

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(905 Views)

You should not leave any AI floating. No signal does not mean a 0V and the lines being high impedance is very much affected by any charge nearby. Ground any unused AI.

It can be considered a problem, if you connected 9V to one channel and ground the other channel, still see this parasitic.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(877 Views)