Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pci-5105 basic questions

I have a pci-5105 and have a few questions. I searched the boards and didn't find exactly what I was looking. I apologize if these are very basic...I am new to this.

1) Is the soft scope front panel the only way to communicate with the 5105? The programming examples written in C do not say they support the 5105. 

2) If I can use the 5105 progammically, is it possible to compile and run the examples from Linux or does it have to be in the supported Windows OS?

3) As I understand, DAQ-mx is not compatable with the 5105. I have the latest version of MATLAB with the DAQ toolbox which supports some NI products. Can I use it for the 5105? Does MATLAB have any compatability with it?

Thanks much.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,271 Views)

Hi jwm1!

1) The NI SCOPE driver installs support for both LV and LW/CVI, you can programmatically acces it on your code by slecting it as the resource to use and then complete the program with the rest of the functions. The example programs should work, you just need to consider the limitations of the board compared to the other scopes. 

2) NI SCOPE2.9 and up, offer support for Linux, there is a special driver you can get on the drivers and updates section on ni.com. Sadly the 5105 is not among the official supported devices.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/35D2B5E483A001A18625716B005BE464?OpenDocument

http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/epd/p/id/5312

3) No, you cant use the toolbox for the scope. You have two options for interaction with Matlab: the first one would be to create a dll in LV and call it directly from matlab. The second one would be to create a program in LV that includes the mathscript node. The following forum has an example of this:

http://forums.ni.com/ni/board/message?board.id=270&message.id=4554&requireLogin=False

I hope this info helps.

Have a great day!!

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,246 Views)

Hello jwm,

1) The programming examples included in the NI-SCOPE may not all be applicable to the 5105, but some do. NI Example Finder in LabVIEW enables the user to filter examples by the hardware type. What do you plan on using your 5105 for, I may be able to guide you to the appropriate examples.

2) I was able find some versions of NI-SCOPE that are supported on Linux distributions on our drivers and updates page, unfortunately none of these versions officially support the 5105. You may want to consider a Scope already supported or a windows OS. Does you application require you to be on a Linux distribution? 

3) The 5105, uses both the DAQmx and the HSDIO drivers. I'm not sure how NI products are integrated with MATLAB, but I'm confident that the software would make calls into these drivers. 

Regards,

Glenn

Regards,
Glenn
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(4,240 Views)
3) I mistyped, the 5105 does NOT use HSDIO, it uses NI-SCOPE and reference Oswald's post for correct guidance.

Regards,
Glenn
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,216 Views)

Thanks for the replies.

I want to do some very basic things with my 5105: Set up a trigger system so that it automatically starts acquiring data given the trigger, saves the data for some specified sample size (probably 50 time points or so), and repeats as long as the trigger conditions are met.

What program examples should I be looking at? I have tried using GettingStarted.c but am having some compling errors...before I go any further with that which examples would you suggest using? I have scrapped using Linux and am running XP.

I don't have labview...just the 5105 and MATLAB. I plan to just save the waveforms from ~5 channels to .bin or .txt files, import them into Excel, then into MATLAB for plotting, analysis, etc. Using the soft scope front panel is nice, but it is manual and I want to set up something automatic for data acquisition with my system.

Best,

James

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,141 Views)

Hi James,

I recommend running the following example avaiable using c programming.

body { margin: 0 0 0 0; padding:0 0 0 0 } td,div { font-family:Segoe UI;font-size:9pt;vertical-align:top } body { margin: 0 0 0 0; padding:0 0 0 0; overflow:hidden; } .transcript { background-color:#d2d2d2; } .messageBlock { margin-left:4px; margin-bottom:3px } .message { margin-left:100px; word-wrap:break-word; white-space:-moz-pre-wrap; _white-space:pre; } .messageCont { margin-left:100px; word-wrap:break-word; white-space:-moz-pre-wrap; _white-space:pre;} .other { overflow:hidden;color:#39577a;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; } .myself { overflow:hidden;color:#da8103;font-style:normal;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; } .otherCont { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#39577a;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; } .myselfCont { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#da8103;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; } .system { margin-left:4px; word-wrap:break-word;color:#da8103;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal; white-space:-moz-pre-wrap; _white-space:pre; } .showTimestamp { padding-left:8px; margin-right:3px; float:right; color:#999999;font-style:normal;font-weight:normal; } .other1 { color:#ac2000;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; } .otherCont1 { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#ac2000;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; } .other2 { color:#3c9fa8;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; } .otherCont2 { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#3c9fa8;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; } .other3 { color:#e25614;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; } .otherCont3 { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#e25614;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; } .other4 { color:#0b6ac8;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; } .otherCont4 { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#0b6ac8;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; } .other5 { color:#b23290;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; } .otherCont5 { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#b23290;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; } .other6 { color:#02e7c7;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; } .otherCont6 { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#02e7c7;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; } .other7 { color:#5b3284;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;font-style:normal;float:left; width:95px; } .otherCont7 { font-size:8px;text-align:right; color:#5b3284;font-family:Arial,Lucida Grande;font-style:normal;vertical-align:top;font-weight:bold;float:left; width:95px; } .highlight { background-color:#bed6f8; } .datestamp { cursor:default; margin-bottom:1px; background-color:#c0c0c0; width:100%; float:left; text-align:right; color:#ffffff; font-weight:bold; font-style:italic; } #chatAlert { float:left; border-bottom:1px solid #E8D091; padding:6px; width:100%; color:#A5754C; } #chatAlertImage { float:left; } #chatAlertText { float:left; margin-left:6px; } #chatAlertClose { float:right; margin-right:10px; padding-right:6px; margin-top:0px; } #chatAlertText a { color:#A5754C; } #chatAlertText a:hover { color:#A5754C; text-decoration:none; } .tsDisplay { display:block }.dsDisplay { display:none }

MultiRecordFetchMoreThanAvailableMemory

This is installed with the NI-SCOPE driver.

Regards,
Glenn
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,119 Views)

I accidentally copied more than I needed.

"I recommend running the following example avaiable using c programming.

MultiRecordFetchMoreThanAvailableMemory

This is installed with the NI-SCOPE driver."

Regards,
Glenn
Message 7 of 11
(4,117 Views)

Thank you for your suggestion. That appears to be exactly what I wanted to do.

However, I am having some trouble compiling and executing that program. I get the following errors (I tried with 2 different C compilers...get the same errors):

1) undefined reference to 'niScope_GenericMultiRecordFetchMoreThanAvailableMemory@0'

2) undefined reference to 'asciiPlot@8'

I have tried moving all of the files to the same directory, running them from the predefined c directory that it was installed in...either way I am not able to compile. Any ideas? My C isn't too great 😞

Thanks for the help.

James

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(4,095 Views)
I should add I used lcc and MinGW
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,080 Views)

Personally, I haven't had too much experience with ICC.  If you aren't commited to that compiler, I have had a lot of success using Visual C++ Express Edition (the free one) along with NI drivers.

ICC should be able to compile the code, but it might take more work than another compiler.

Ben

National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Associate Developer
Certified TestStand Developer
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(4,048 Views)