From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nidevldu and Device Loader crashes, stays dead and doesn't want to restart.

Hi all,

I'm on Dell XPS M1530, Windows 7 Pro with LabVIEW 2009 pro.

Recently tried to add a USB-6008 device in MAX, however, I found that it wasn't recognized. After searching here I found that the NI Device Loader was stopped and that I needed to start it. However, no matter how many times I did this it would shut down immediately. Consequently I cannot add the device.

Here is the list from windows event viewer of the booting errors.

NI Variable Engine

The description for Event ID 0 from source NI Variable Engine cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

Failed to initialize PSP XT Server

NI Variable Engine

The description for Event ID 0 from source NI Variable Engine cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

Unable to load the MXS configuration plugIn: Failed to get MAX Configuration interface: 0x80040318

NI Variable Engine

C:\Program Files\National Instruments\Shared\Tagger\ni_tagger_plugin_mxs.dll: Failure to load plugin: Unexpected Error: Unable to get the Interface from the plug-in.

nipalu

[nidevldu] [[nidevldu]]  Fatal: p:\Measurements\Infrastructure\devld\trunk\1.10\source\tDeviceLoader.cpp:262 - Could not connect to MXS. MAX configuration files may be corrupt!

Service Control Manager

The NI Device Loader service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s).

If I try to manually restart the device loader I get the last two errors again.

To fix it I tried the following.

I deleted and reinstalled MAX in case it was corrupted (first I just deleted the database). I repaired the relevant LabVIEW installations.- didn't help

I downloaded the latest 9.1.1 1gb driver file and completely reinstalled MAX and relevant drivers. Still didn't help.

I completely uninstalled all LabVIEW programs on my system, and even removed the program files folder as well as the reg key pertaining to MAX. I than installed MAX from the 1gb driver file without installing LabVIEW but again the device loader would crash.

I uninstalled everything again and installed only LabVIEW and the MathScript module and again it's not working.

I'm at my wits' end - what can be causing this? If all I installed was MAX and LabVIEW wasn't even on the system why would device loader crash? Unless when I uninstalled everything something was left over that caused the problem?

Thanks in advance for any help,

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 29
(9,108 Views)

Hi Matt-

This sounds like a MAX database corruption error.  It sounds like you have gone through and tried deleting files/folders, etc.  I am unsure whether or not that would necessarily delete the corrupt file.  As such, refer to the steps in this KnowledgeBase article for further troublehooting.  Specifically, if you follow the related links, you will get to this KnowledgeBase which prescribes the exact procedure for removing MAX database corruption.

Try this out (follow it exactly) and let us know how it goes.

Gary P.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 29
(9,076 Views)

Thank you for the reply.

I turned off my firewall and anti virus and tried running it and it again stopped. I then followed the other article for removing the data folder etc. and after the restart it still keeps on stopping. I have done what that article says at least 3 times, but it never works.

One thing though, in the article it stayed to find the file config3.mxs.bak in the data folder, however, I didn't have that file. I removed the whole data folder instead. The config3.mxs.bak file is probably a backup but since it doesn't add devices it never created the file?

Thanks,

Matt

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 29
(9,073 Views)

Hi Matt,

Could you try running the following from the command prompt (must Run as Administrator):

1.  net stop mxssvr /y

2.  net stop NITaggerService /y

3.  net start mxssvr

4.  net start nidevldu

Stopping mxssvr should stop the NITaggerService but step 2 is just for good measure.  If you encounter any errors I'd be interested to see what they are.

Best Regards,

John Passiak
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 29
(9,030 Views)

Here is the cmd reults when I ran it

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7600]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation.  All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>net stop mxssvr /y
The following services are dependent on the NI Configuration Manager service.
Stopping the NI Configuration Manager service will also stop these services.

National Instruments Variable Engine
   NI PXI Resource Manager Service
   NI-Motion Device Manager

The National Instruments Variable Engine service is stopping..
The National Instruments Variable Engine service was stopped successfully.

The NI PXI Resource Manager Service service is stopping.
The NI PXI Resource Manager Service service was stopped successfully.

The NI-Motion Device Manager service is stopping.
The NI-Motion Device Manager service was stopped successfully.

The NI Configuration Manager service is stopping.
The NI Configuration Manager service was stopped successfully.

C:\Windows\system32>net stop NITaggerService /y
The National Instruments Variable Engine service is not started.

More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3521.

C:\Windows\system32>net start mxssvr

The NI Configuration Manager service was started successfully.

C:\Windows\system32>net start nidevldu

The NI Device Loader service was started successfully.

C:\Windows\system32>

However, here is the event viewer log for the same time that I ran the commands.

from source nipalu

[nidevldu] [[nidevldu]]  Fatal: p:\Measurements\Infrastructure\devld\trunk\1.11\source\tDeviceLoader.cpp:265 - Could not connect to MXS. MAX configuration files may be corrupt!

Followed by this from source service control manager.

The NI Device Loader service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 2 time(s).

Thanks,

Matt

The NI Device Loader service terminated unexpectedly.  It has done this 2 time(s).
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 29
(9,027 Views)

Hi Matt-

Sorry for the delay in response - we have spoken with some developers regarding this issue.  Is it okay to contact you via email?  I need your permission to have our web team pull contact info, so let me know and I can send you the next steps.

Thanks!

Gary P.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 29
(8,959 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 29
(8,244 Views)

I am having a similar problem.

I have tried following the steps
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/0819391CA91B3EB38625731D00024649

to get nidevldu to start and/or restart, but get error 1068 "dependency service failed to start" when I try to start nidevldu.
So I look for what its dependcies are (R-click > Properties > Dependencies" and see NI Configuration Manager and NI mDNS Responder Service listed.
The NI Configuration Manager is already running. When I try to start NI mDNS Responder Service, it says "error 1075 the dependency service does not exist or has been marked for deletion".
So I go look at what its dependencies are and none are listed.
It does say "the following system components depend on this service : NI LXI Disconvery Service and NI Device Loader"
Is this a clue to what the problem may be ?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 29
(8,234 Views)

Hey Steve,

mDNS Responder depends on the NI System Web Server, so if that service does not exist or is named differently, we could see this issue. Please go to Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services, navigate to "NI System Web Server", then right-click and select Properties. Take a screenshot of that window, and attach it to this thread similar to the image below:

NISystemWebServer.png

Justin E
National Instruments R&D
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 29
(8,230 Views)

Justin,

I see exactly the same as your screen capture except that my Service name is NISystemWebServer instead of niSvcLoc

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 29
(8,227 Views)