Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

nidaqmx and change of state interrupts on DIO

Hi All;
Does DAQmxbase support interrupt on change of state on a DIO port? I'm looking for a way to generate an interrupt ( sigusr2 or similar) whenever any bit changes on the dio port.
Is it possible to split the dio port into 4 bits in/4 bits out?
Pat
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,588 Views)
Pat,

What hardware are you using the DAQmxBase driver for? The ability to generate interrupts when DIO bits change are dependant on the hardware used rather than the driver. The hardware should be capabable to perform change detection operation in order to be able to generate interrupts based on changes to bits on the port. Also, some devices can be line (bit) configurable and some are only port configurable. In other words, your hardware might be one of those devices that support line configurability. Please look at the following knowledgebase entery to verify that your hardware is capable of performing individual line configuration. If your hardware supports individual line configurability, you could split the DIO port to half in and half out.

Which Devices Can the DIO Lines Individually Configured?
Can You Configure the Individual or Single Lines of the 8255 Digital Chip?

If you still have further questions pertainent to this issue, please post them and I will address them.

Ayman K
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(3,571 Views)
we are currently suing a 6031E for testing I'm not sure which M series card is going to be in the final system.
Pat
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(3,560 Views)
Pat,

Change detection is only supported in the NI 653x family. These boards are supported under Traditional NI-DAQ, and DAQmx (only with NI-DAQ 7.4). However, they are not supported by DAQmx Base.

Ayman K
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(3,537 Views)

@Ayman K wrote:
Pat,

Change detection is only supported in the NI 653x family. These boards are supported under Traditional NI-DAQ, and DAQmx (only with NI-DAQ 7.4). However, they are not supported by DAQmx Base.

Ayman K

Is there any plans on supporting this family under DAQmx base? We purchased several of these cards with the understanding they were DAQmx base supported.
Pat
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(3,532 Views)
Pat,

What is the operating system in which you are developing your application? From what I understand, you are restricted to the use of DAQmx Base maybe because you are developing your application in a Linux machine that is only supported through DAQmx Base. However, if you are running windows, you could have both drivers installed in your system (DAQmx and DAQmx Base). Please advise me of this operating system you intend to use these boards in.

Ayman K
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(3,525 Views)

@Ayman K wrote:
Pat,

What is the operating system in which you are developing your application? From what I understand, you are restricted to the use of DAQmx Base maybe because you are developing your application in a Linux machine that is only supported through DAQmx Base. However, if you are running windows, you could have both drivers installed in your system (DAQmx and DAQmx Base). Please advise me of this operating system you intend to use these boards in.

Ayman K

We are using a redhat 9 based realtime system, Windows is not an option ( this is for a realtime safety critical app). We have been using the 6031E as a cheap dev. card while waiting for the 653X cards to get to us.
Thanks
Pat
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(3,518 Views)
Pat,

Are we talking about NI 6533(32HS) or the NI 6534?
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(3,500 Views)
Pat,

Sorry this has taking some time. We are definitly planning to eventually support this series in Linux. This might take as long as Q4 of 2005 or possibly 2006 though.

Ayman K
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(3,484 Views)
Pat,

I need to include your name and contact information on the request that I am submitting. It would also be very helpful if you could tell me how many 653x cards you are purchasing. Thank you

Ayman K
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(3,481 Views)