cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ni 9265 analog out load

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I have a 9265 and I would like to use its 20 mA analog output to provide 5V to a 2KOhm load. In the manual it says that 600 Ohm is the max load, but based on my simplistic understanding of electronics, I would guess these means at 20 mA (i.e. 12 V out limit). If I cap the output at 2.5 mA (or anything less than 6 mA), is it safe to use on a 2 kOhm load. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jon

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(3,238 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jpsinger

Hi Jon,

While what you are attempting may be possible, I unfortunately can not recommend that you work outside the hardware's specification of 600 Ohms.  Since you desire to supply the load with 5 volts, have you considered or are you able to use a voltage source rather than a current source?  

Cole R.
National Instruments
Software Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(3,224 Views)

Unfortunately, that is not a practical option. We are already using this DAQ for one part of the same apparatus and it would be impractical/too expensive to try to aquire more control boards. Thank you for the assessment though. I will look into other options below the spec. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(3,215 Views)

instead of using a load resistor, use an opamp or  any IC like RCV 420 http://www.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/rcv420.pdf

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(3,052 Views)