From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

merging different input into one display

hello, can i know is there any possible for me to merge different type of signal and then write to same file, also display all together the
signal in one graph or chart. below is my input type and device use:

analog input : LVDT
counter input:  Rotary Encoder

i have tried to merge by using merge signal, but it does not appear any signal in the graph and for sure the data
also is nothing save. If i seperated them, i can display both and save both data. I just want to know is a different
type of input can be merge into one signal and display all at the same time.

thanks
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,026 Views)

Hi suffyzull,

There are several ways you can “merge” two signals into a single signal to display or save. I’ve attached an example program that demonstrates how you can do this. The merging part of the VI is shown below. I used 1-D arrays of double precision for both data lines. In the top method, I merge the two arrays into a single, 2-D array using the Build Array VI and then write it to a spreadsheet file using the Write to Spreadsheet VI. In the second method, I convert the data into the dynamic data type using the Convert to DDT VI, merge them together using the Merge Signals Vi, and finally write them to a TDMS file using the Write to Measurement File Express VI. Indicators are wired to both versions of the merged data.

Please post back if you have any questions. Have a great day!

Message Edited by ryan_d on 12-05-2007 01:25 PM
Ryan D.
District Sales Manager for Boston & Northern New England
National Instruments
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(3,003 Views)
hello and thanks so much,
i forgot to tell u that my version of LabVIEW is 7.1. So i cannot open the example program that you gives to me. Could you please send the lower version file for me to study the block diagram. Thanks
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,994 Views)
hello again,

this is the program that i try to merge the analog and digital input.
there is an error occur at write to measurement file 3 and i dont no how to fix it. could you please tell me where i
can fix it. thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,993 Views)

Hi suffyzull,

I’ve attached both the VI I originally posted (now for 7.1) and a modified version of the VI you posted. Basically I made a couple changes (pictured below). Because the Write LabVIEW Measurement File Express VI accepts the dynamic data type I replaced the Bundle that you had your data wired to with a Merge Signals and wired your signals through a Convert to Dynamic Data Type Express VI. I configured the top “Convert to DDT” for an Array of Waveform and the bottom one for Single Scalar. This fixes the broken wires and is also one of the solutions that I provide in my example.

Message Edited by ryan_d on 12-06-2007 01:44 PM
Ryan D.
District Sales Manager for Boston & Northern New England
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,980 Views)
thanks ryan, now i learn something new and also important.
have a nice day.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,971 Views)