Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

measuring engine rpm with inductive speed sensor

Dear Sir

iam working on a project and i need to measure the rotational speed of an engine and then display this speed in control room.there is an inductive speed sensor attached to the engine shaft.my question is the pins in NI 6014 DAQ CARD for connecting the sensor and how to configure the task ?

with my great thanks

emad

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(4,481 Views)

Hi 925411,

Does the sensor have built-in conditioning such that it outputs a TTL signal that you can use with a counter, or are we dealing with the unprocessed analog signal?  It would be very helpful if you could post a link to your sensor.

To try to answer your question, if the sensor has a digital output then you should use a counter task to measure its frequency (which should be directly proportional to the angular frequency of the engine shaft).  There are three methods of measuring frequency with counters described at the following link: Frequency Measurements: How-To Guide

If the sensor has an analog output, you would need to use an analog input channel to acquire the data.  You could either process it in software to determine the frequency, or use the Analog Comparison Event to generate a digital signal to use with the counters as described here: NI-DAQmx Measuring Frequency from an Analog Input

Please let us know if you have any further questions--a link to the spec sheet of your sensor would be helpful in determining the best way to configure the task.  How fast do you expect the engine shaft to be rotating?  Any additional information about the application should be helpful.  Thanks for posting and have a great day!

-John 

John Passiak
Message 2 of 2
(4,466 Views)