Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mDNS Responder Service error 65549

Solved!
Go to solution

I've been having a problem for several months now with my devices not showing up in NI-MAX. After investigating the problem, I've found that the 'NI Device Loader' service isn't starting because the mDNS Responder Service gets an error 65549 when Windows is starting. I can manually start the service and get everything to work until I reboot the computer and the mDNS service gets the error again. This has happened on several different computers with several different NI boards.

I've tried to narrow down the problem by loading a clean installation of Windows 7 32-bit on a new computer along with the latest version of NI-DAQmx (version 9.5) and a PCI-6601 NI board. No other software is installed and no Windows updates are installed other than Windows Service Pack 1 which is included on my Windows 7 installation disk. I've found that the mDNS Responder service will only start automatically if my network cable is disconnected during Windows startup. If the network cable is connected at startup, the service will only occasionally start without the error.

I've searched for information about the 65549 error and have found a few things to try but nothing has worked so far. What is the mDNS Responder error 65549?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 17
(5,937 Views)

Hi chvogt,

I believe this issue was discussed here. Please let us know if this thread answers your question.

Thanks,

Tunde S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 17
(5,900 Views)

Tunde,

Thanks for the reply. Most of the solutions in the post were related to downloading an updated mDNS Responder. None of the links to download the mDNS Responder worked and it appears that the latest version of NI-DAQmx should include the fixed mDNS Responder anyway.

Other solutions include reinstalling or repairing the NI software. This doesn't apply in my case because I am having the problem immediately after installing NI-DAQmx on a computer with a fresh Windows installation.

I'm still trying to find the cause and solution to this problem. I've tried installing different versions of NI-DAQmx (9.2, 9.4, 9.5) with no luck so far.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 17
(5,871 Views)

Chovgt,

Just to bring it up, the problem I was having in a different post was similar to this, and my problem was solved by doing the repair.  My issue happened immediately after a fresh install of the NI software on a fresh install of windows.  Thought it was worth mentioning that.

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Multifunction-DAQ/No-devices-under-Max/td-p/1938993

Goodluck

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 17
(5,863 Views)

Steve,

Thanks for the reply. I tried repairing the NI software as you suggested but it didn't work. I wasn't clear from your post if you repaired all NI software or just Measurement & Automation Explorer so I tried both methods with no success. After I repaired the NI installation, Windows prompted me to reboot and the services were running fine. I tried another reboot without making any changes and the services would not work from then on.

Since the problem goes away when the network cable is disconnected, I tried connecting to a different router and the problem remains. Our network is peer-to-peer, not client-server, so I don't know if that makes any difference.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 17
(5,856 Views)

Hi chvogt,

Have you tried the solution at this KnowledgeBase for the mDNS Responder Service?

Secondly, being that this problem persists on multiple computers on your peer-to-peer network, can you ensure that UDP port 5353 is open for communication in your security software, whether that is Windows Firewall or another?

Thanks,

Tunde S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 17
(5,840 Views)

Tunde,

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried setting the recovery options for the mDNS Repsonder & NI Device Loader services to restart on failure but nothing changed.

I looked at the settings for our router and didn't see anything that would be blocking UDP port 5353. I think this is set to allow access to the port since I can manually start the services without failure every time.

I also tried turning off all firewall protection but that also had no effect.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 17
(5,819 Views)

Hi Chvogt,

The National Instruments mDNS Responder Service is dependent on the NI System Web Server.  Does this service start-up automatically? Being that you are able to manually start-up the mDNS Responder Service, I assumed that the NI System Web Server automatically starts after every reboot. Do you have to manually start this service too?

Thanks,

Tunde S.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 17
(5,787 Views)

Tunde,

The NI System Web Server starts automatically. The attached PDF shows the services and events.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 17
(5,778 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author chvogt

Hi chvogt,

Would you be interested in trying a beta version of mDNS Responder to see if this resolves your error? If so, please send me a private message, thanks!

Justin E
National Instruments R&D
Message 10 of 17
(5,749 Views)