From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to replace SCXI-1600?

Solved!
Go to solution

Since our IT forces us to upgrade to Win7, 64bit edition, our SCXI 1600 becomes useless because there is no 64bit driver (Sidenote: the device is still on sale in the online catalog with no obvious warning about the lack of such a driver). in another tread about this, Seth_B advises

For instance, the USB-6251 Mass Termination device which offers 5x faster sampling with 7x better accuracy, USB 2.0 transfer speeds for more reliable data transfer, and is only about $300 more including the cable between the DAQ device and the SCXI chassis.

I need more Info - i don't get how exactly that will replace the SCXI-1600 as a connection to the SCXI block, to me it looks like an ordinary USB I/O device to directly connect several types of analog and digital IO via a SCB. What cable do i need to connect the SCXI chassis containing further cards, how will it turn up in MAX  - in short: i need to decide if the replacement is more trouble in terms of rewriting labview software and other efforts than fighting our IT guys to keep the 32 bit system for that particular test bench.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(5,411 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MBohnet

Hello MBohnet, 

To avoid any work or purchasing new equipment on your part then I would recommend fighting your IT department to keep the 32 bit system.

If you have to upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit then the 6251 is an option available to you for communicating and digitizing the information from you SCXI modules.

Steps to setting this up are to  

1. Remove the 1600 from the chassis.
  2. Attach an SCXI 1349 to the back any of the SCXI modules. Then use a SH68-68-EPM cable (the cable is listed underneath the pricing tab for the 6251 device) to connect the SCXI-1349 to the PCI-6251.
  3. Your configuration in Measurement & Automation Explorer would look very similar as far as adding your device but you will point to the 6251 as the digitizer.
  4. The quote above regarding the (5x faster sampling rate) only applies when utilizing the USB-6251 in parallel mode.  
  5. You would not have to make any code changes with switching out the piece of hardware.  
  6. Also if you are not attached to USB take a look at the PCIe-6320  or PCIe-6341 with the SHC-68-68-EPM Cable. They are less costly alternatives than the USB-6251.

Regards,

Izzy O.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

www.ni.com/support

Message 2 of 6
(5,399 Views)

Thank you, Izzzzz!! The SCXI 1349 was the "missing Link" I needed to sort things out. I'll also have a look at the alternatives provided.

as for staying at 32 bit - that's my preferred solution as well, and it is one i'll stay with for several other test benches because of (non NI-)Hardware problems, but at a big company it's not always easy to explain the IT department, why the laboratorys can't use what works great at several ten thousand office PCs. We're fighting things like forced automated updates interrupting test runs with hazardous materials and high temperatures - that particular issue was contered with a cRio to keep controll if the PC goes crazy Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(5,388 Views)

For line two do you mean USB-6251 not PCI 6251?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(5,219 Views)

Yes that is correct I was referring to the USB-6251 not the PCI-6251 in line two. 

Best Regards,

Izzy O. 

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

ni.com/support

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(5,206 Views)

Hi,

Can I also use the PCI-6229 to connect to the SCXI crate?  I'm going to give it a try.  We also have a PCI-6259.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(4,754 Views)