From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to generate sustained output signal?

I have a NI PCI-6703, which generates output voltages on 16 channels (Dev1/ao0:15).

I'm trying to write C++ code (PyDAQmx code, actually) to set each channel to a different voltage and have each channel sustain that output voltage until I send another command to change the voltage. Can anyone point me to an example or the commands to do that?

I have read through a fair bit of NI documentation, set up task handles, and read through the NI example code in National Instruments\NI-DAQ\Examples\DAQmx ANSI C\Analog Out\Generate Voltage\Volt Update\VoltUpdate.c. I see there that calling DAQmxWriteAnalogF64 seems to be one way to set the output voltage for a channel. However that code seems to set the voltage for 1 sample, which seems to mean for one clock cycle. I want to set the voltage instead to a certain voltage on each channel, and have it stay there indefinitely until I call a set-voltage-command again to change it to another voltage.

Apologies if this is too simple of a question; I have read a lot of NI documentation, but the examplees and documentation seem mostly aimed at acquiring samples rather than generating voltages.

Thanks for any help with this.

Best,

Bobby O

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,881 Views)

Actually, when you write a voltage to an output, that voltage will sustain until you write a new voltage value. Hence, DAQmxWriteAnalogF64 is a way to go.

Message 2 of 5
(3,870 Views)

Thanks! I'm new to using this API call; could give an example of setting channel "Dev1/Ao0" to +10.0 volts using DAQmxWriteAnalogF64, e.g. how to set the fields described in the API to set and sustain the +10.0 voltage on a channel using:

int32 DAQmxWriteAnalogF64 (TaskHandle taskHandle, int32 numSampsPerChan, bool32 autoStart, float64 timeout, bool32 dataLayout, float64 writeArray[], int32 *sampsPerChanWritten, bool32 *reserved)

Best,

Bobby O

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,840 Views)

E.g.  I have 16 channels (Dev1/ao0:15), how do I control which channel is getting the voltage setting?

I'm also unsure of the impact of numSampsPerChan, autoStart, timeout, .... Hopefully a concrete example of setting the voltage to hold at a value for one of my channels will make that concrete. (Then I can call that command separately for each channel when voltage changes are needed).

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,839 Views)

Hi there,

I've found a couple resources that might be helpful for you.  Here is the info sheet for the function:

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/370471Y-01/daqmxcfunc/daqmxwriteanalogf64/

Also, here is some example code from another forum post where the person was doing something similar:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Measurement-Studio-for-VC/Updating-single-value-voltage-output-in-loop/m-p/9...

Does this help answer your question?

Julian R.
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,806 Views)