From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to connect the Z signal to the DAQ card

Hello,

I have an rotary angle measurement for which, I am using ASM rotary encoder. I have to use A, B and Z signals. The application is in such a way that when the user rotates to the home position, automatically the position has to reset to zero. For this, I understand, that I should wire Z reference also.

I will be using multifunction I/O card . I have identified X series card NI PCIe-6341 which has 4 counters. 

A and B signals will be connected to individual counters of the card. Should I connect Z ref signal to a counter or to a digital input. Are there any example programs for this type of usage. Please let me know.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,606 Views)

Hello,

You can use the DAQ assistant to check the functionality of the quadrature encoder (or rotary angle measurement) and to see the waveforms for A, B and Z or you can use this example to get your application running in a short amount of time. The Z terminal gives a high pulse every revolution, so you could easily wire it to another counter input. You can also find many more examples in the NI Community or by using the example finder in LabVIEW (search for "quadrature encoder").

Regards,

Toader Mihai

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,598 Views)