From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hardware installation with windows vista

I'm trying install a PCI 6602 and PCI 6251 board on a new windows vista computer. When I bring up Measurement & Automation Explorer, and expand data neighborhood, I get an error: "There was a problem connecting to the database. Contact National Instruments if the problem persists." I've updated the ni daqmx to version 8.5, but this hasn't helped. Any suggestions on what the problem might be?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,342 Views)
Hello. 

Thank you for posting to the NI Discussion Forums. 

The error that you are seeing is explained well in the following knowledge base article.  There are numerous troubleshooting steps that you can try in order to eliminate this error that are also explained in this article.

Why Do I Get a Measurement & Automation Explorer (MAX) Database Connection Error?
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/B9107A7F281F9B408625720B0078E5A8?OpenDocument

I would recommend starting here.  If the problem persists, I have an additional question for you.  Did you ever install any version other than DAQmx 8.5 on your Vista machine or any other drivers that are not supported in Vista?  If so, this could point to a larger issue of which the solution is explained here:

How do I remove unsupported NI software from Windows Vista in order to install the officially supported versions?
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/B4BF3B96988453B98625728100009670?OpenDocument

Let us know how this goes.  We would be happy to help further!

Brian F
Applications Engineer
National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,314 Views)
Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm still getting the same database error. Here is what I've done so far:

I went into McAfee and unblocked the NI applications. (I could not find nipalsm.exe or nidevmon.exe)

I verified that the NI configuration manager was started. (I could not find nidevldu in the list)

I don't have a serial or gpib device, so I skipped that step.

I did not try using the backup config3 file since it has a recent creation date. (I did try moving some of the config files, but wasn't allowed. The computer said the files were in use by another computer. I received this error again after rebooting.)

My initial attempt to solve the problem (before contacting NI) was to update my nidaqmx to 8.5. When I did this, I did not uninstall 8.2 (something I read in another forum) I followed your uninstall link and ran the vista clean up program (without any errors). I then reinstalled all the software (labview and nidaqmx 8.5) after all the software was installed, I installed my daq boards (pci 6602, pci 6251). I still get the database error in max.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,301 Views)
I also have the problem. I am trying to install PCI 6251 to my new vista system. It always shows "a problem connecting to the database". Actually I tried all the methods suggested in the above link but still got an error.

My system: PCI 6251/ Vista/ DAQmx 8.5/ Labview 8.2.1 student version
What I have done:
1.Install DAQmx earlier than Labview (if reverse, the version of MAX from Labview CD is 4.1 and it will definately cause some problem)
2. Install my PCI 6251
3. It doesn't work. Then go to ""service" to turn off NI configuration manager. (If don't turn it off, I can't delete these config3.* files)
4. Delete those config*.* files
5. Turn on NI configuration manager and the MAX again but it still shows the same problem.

Is there someone can help me? I already spent two days on this.
Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,277 Views)

Hi,

I am getting in touch with our R&D department to see if there are any further troubleshooting steps that we can take to get this resolved.

Ed W.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,242 Views)

lvsmith: Are you using the LabVIEW 8.2.1 or just 8.2?  LabVIEW 8.2.1 is the only supported version for Windows Vista.

I am still waiting to hear back from our R&D department for more troubleshooting steps on this issue.

Ed W.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,227 Views)
Hello,

I have exactly the same problem.
I work on a DELL Inspiron 6400 with Windows Vista, Daqmx 8.5 and NI-MAX 4.2.1
I just want to comunicate with my NI-9172 (compact daq) with NI-MAX. I didn't install LabVIEW 8.2.1
I turn off all the security (I think).
Somtimes, NI-MAX find the COMPACT DAQ system and when I press F5, I get an error "Database..."
I already have the same error on my laptop running on Windows XP but a reboot corrected the problem.
I have no idea !

Lionel
Luke: All right, I'll give it a try.
Yoda: No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,215 Views)

Hi,

LabVIEW 8.2.1 is currently the only version to be supported with Windows Vista.  Make sure that you have administrative rights on your computer.  Otherwise, we have not found any cases where the problem was inherent to MAX – this error has only been seen to occur from other applications (firewalls, antivirus, security software, etc.) accessing the database. 

As a troubleshooting step, try removing the computer from the network, and then shut down all possible security software.  Once MAX is working, you should be able to narrow down the problem to a single piece of software, and then change the settings there to fix things once the computer is put back onto the network.

Ed W.

Applications Engineer

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,194 Views)