Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

device unavailable after 8.7.2f1 install

I have a PCI-6259 multifunction DAQ running under windows xp.  I was running the ANSI C examples, and everything worked fine.

I noticed the DAQmx 872f1 update on the website and installed it - now the board does not work.  (ANSI C examples fail, MAX shows

a red x by the device).  What should I do?  Uninstall everything and start over?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,016 Views)

mdf,

What version of DAQmx did you upgrade from?  I assume you have rebooted and the card is still not recognized?  Is the card recognized in Device Manager?  When you start the computer up do you see a prompt to install drivers for that device?

Sincerely,
Jason Daming
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
http://www.ni.com/support
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,005 Views)

I started with 8.7.1. 

After rebooting, Device manager sees the device but has the yellow question mark over it (and properties says no driver installed).

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,996 Views)

Now I'm really discouraged.  Uninstall / reinstall did not work.

In more detail:  power off, remove card, boot, uninstall NI software using "Add and Remove Programs"

reboot.  Install 8.7.1 from the CD's that came with the card. Reboot.  Power off, insert card, boot up.

Now Device Manager shows card ("PCI device" with NI logo), but with yellow ? and properties says no driver.

It does not show up at all in MAX.

Power down, swap in a different 6259 card, reboot.

Still not in MAX, Device Manager same except yellow question mark is gone.

What now?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,985 Views)

mdf,

Do you see a screen that looks like this when you first put in the card:

You need to install this in order to get the card recognized.  Seeing PCI Device is what happens when you just exit out of this or have a bad installation of these components.  You can right click on this device then say update driver in device manager and then after completeing that the card should show up.

Message Edited by Jason_D on 11-21-2008 12:48 PM
Sincerely,
Jason Daming
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,970 Views)

For some reason the new hardware wizard never shows up. 

I did "Update Driver" from Device Manager and had it search the CD.  That worked!  (I did not realize the update was smart enough to find the correct driver without an installer running.)

For future reference, if I do want to install an update, is there any special sequence required?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,965 Views)

mdf,

It sounds like you were on the right path.  You would install the update, reboot your computer, and then update the device drivers.  It is unfortunate that the window did not come up, I am unsure as to why this would happen.  Does it come up with other devices or if you were to remove the drivers then reboot?  You can always do the update driver like you did and that should fix the problem.

Sincerely,
Jason Daming
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,947 Views)

One thing that occurs to me that might make a difference -- I am running that computer as a "headless" system through remote desktop.  Maybe Windows acts differently in that case...

I don't have time to experiment right now, so I'll have to leave it as a mystery.

Thanks for the help.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,945 Views)