From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

continuous acquisition of several channels quasi-synchronized

Hello,

I am using DAQ Assistant and have a PCI-6259 board.

So far I have managed to sample one analog channel continuously. The trigger and timing (see DAQ Assistant) is provided by the outgoing line of one of the two counters running at a frequency of 10 kHz.

This works very well.

However, now I need to extend the VI by incorporating the sampling of many more analog channels. In fact, each time the first channel finished the sampling, I want to sample all the other channels required, too, so that the channels are quasi-synchronously sampled.

As this appears to be a standard problem, maybe someone can provide me with a VI or some tips.

Cheers,

HarryG
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,653 Views)
Harry,

simply select the channels you want to sample in DAQ Assistant and it will return this data for each channel. Use the "Ctrl" or "Shift" key to select multiple channels - have a look into the attached screenshot. The rest is done by the NI-DAQmx driver.

Hope this helps ...

Good luck

Stefan
Impossible is nothing - nothing is impossible
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,637 Views)
Hello,

thanks for your reply.
If I use the same timing signal for the acquisition for all analog channels, e.g. an external trigger signal, I obtain a warning from the DAQAssistant saying that the requested sampling rate is too high.

My questions are :
1. Despite the obvious error in the timing request, i.e. all channels sampled simultaneously, does the board switch into a mode in which it tries to sample teh channels quasi-simultaneously, i.e. at the highest possible sampling rate ?
2. Because of the warning, is the data aquisition performed properly ?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

HarryG
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,633 Views)

Harry,

10kHz is not a thing for this board!
Could you descibe, what your application is intended to do, so that we can find a solution for your special case.
Otherwise we have to go through all timing and trigger considerations with the M- Series and this would blow this thread.
Here, some good resources - general informations about the clocks:
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/42484E84DA98053686256D32006E0494?OpenDocument
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/4D1435DF82EF494186256D8A006DD6D4?OpenDocument

With the info of these two knowledge bases and the LabVIEW Measurements Manual chapter 6 (find it in the LabVIEW Bookshelf) you should be able to get ready programming your application.

Stefan
Impossible is nothing - nothing is impossible
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,618 Views)