From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

connect PCI card to laptop

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi

I have M series multifunction DAQ device and i want to connect this PCI card to laptop. how can i do this? have NI a device suitable for this work?

thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,158 Views)

Hi,

There are PCI to USB converter but NI does not have a solution to connect a PCI card to a Laptop. The use of PCI adapters is a configuration that is not supported by National Instruments. NI don't test DAQ devices with these kind of accessories.

If you need to use a computer without PCI or PCI Express ports, I recommend changing the form factor of your DAQ card. NI offer a variety of USB DAQ devices.

More info is posted here - https://forums.ni.com/t5/Multifunction-DAQ/PCI-to-USB-adapter/m-p/3873270#M96340

Regards,
Dharani | CLA | CTD
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,106 Views)

hi

thanks for reply

but in that link said the pci to usb is impossible. and i dont want to change my DAQ device.

Can i use like this converter?

PCI to expresscardPCI to expresscard

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,085 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author mhdzrs

Let me try to summarize your discussions,

1. Using USB to PCI converter (don't know if it exists) would not work with PCI DAQ since this instrument solely relies are PCI bus features and timing specifications for functionality
  2. The image you posted is not a USB to PCI converter but rather an ExpressCard to PCI converter over USB cable

#2 - I do not know completely about the ExpressCard specifications to say if it will work. If you can afford it, I would suggest you take the risk and give try (theoretically it would work).

In any case, NI will not provide support for getting their devices to work with aftermarket modification products and if your instrument is damaged, it will be your sole responsibility.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(4,077 Views)

Hi,

As I mentioned before, NI has not tested it's products with third party PCI adapters. It's sole responsibility of the user to test and validate DAQ cards functionality. NI will not support in this case.

I understand your point of view from cost perspective. With the above mentioned limitations, My strong recommendation is to go with NI USB DAQ device or Desktop PC (to work with PCI card) - which might cost lower than USB DAQ (some specific DAQ models).

Regard's,

Dharani Rajagopal | Certified LabVIEW Architect

Regards,
Dharani | CLA | CTD
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,071 Views)

hi

ok thanks i test it.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(4,059 Views)

Hi,

I am also facing the same issue.

Did you find any reasonable solution? Could you please share it?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,770 Views)