From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cDAQ Power Supply Help

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi! I am looking for some help figuring out power supply requirements for 2 cDAQ chassis. 

I am looking to have 2 cDAQ-9189 chassis. 

One chassis has:

• NI-9476
  • NI-9205
  • NI-9237
  • NI-9237
  • NI-9216

The other has:

• NI-9476
  • NI-9205
  • NI-9265
  • NI-9202
  • NI-9202

What is the process for determining the power supply requirements? I know NI offers power supplies, but I'm unfortunately a little clueless when it comes to this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(755 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author LExx2022

Start by looking at the specification.  The cDAQ chassis needs 9 to 30V (12V or 24V are common) that can supply a maximum of 16W.  If you want to power both chassis with the same supply, you will need 32W.  If you want to power other things with this supply, you need more power capacity.

And P = V*I.  So do a little math to figure out which supply you need.  NI's supplies are 24V.  Assuming a single supply for both chassis, you need 32W/24V = 1.3A.  So the NI PS-14 (24V, 3.3A) will work just fine.

I am personally using a DRB120-24-1 by TDK-Lambda to power one of my cRIO systems.  It is about 1/5 the price of the NI equivalent.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 3
(732 Views)

Thank you for your response - this was really helpful!  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(704 Views)