From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

Multifunction DAQ

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cDAQ-9184 modules missing after PC restart

Hi All

I have a cDAQ-9184 chassis with a few I/O modules. Everytime i restart the PC, the modules cannot be detected by the chassis.

The chassis is seen on the ethernet port without an issue, but the modules are not (see attachment 'After Restart.')

If I click 'Self test' on the chassis, it finds the modules and my software can then run without issue until the next restart (see attachment 'After Self test.')

Ive tried different ethernet cards, cat6 cables and putting fixed/DHCP ip addresses in without success.

Any ideas what this could be?

Best Regards

Oliver

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(6,042 Views)

I have the same problem ...  Any ideas?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(5,388 Views)

Reserv the chassis either through MAX or programmatically through the DAQmx API before trying to do any configurations or measurements.

Best Regards
Jonas Mäki
Systems Developer
Novator Solutions
Message 3 of 10
(5,361 Views)
What does it mean 'reserv'? How can I do it? Can you explain please?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(5,342 Views)

Sorry for misspelling. Reserve of course. See the image below for best explanation. Make sure to highlight your cDAQ chassis then you will have the manual option to make a reserve for the chassis. When doing so the modules should autopopulate again. You can as I said also do this with the daqmx API.

Best Regards
Jonas Mäki
Systems Developer
Novator Solutions
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(5,332 Views)

If it is reserved, try unreserve and then reserve again.

Best Regards
Jonas Mäki
Systems Developer
Novator Solutions
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,330 Views)

I got same problem. However when the chasiss is detected but modules are not detected, the chassis is already reserved. So I kind of doubt un-reserve then reserve again will permanently make the chassis not 'lose" the modules again.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(4,870 Views)

After a while of trying and testing, the only true solution (worked for the last few months) was to programmatically reset the cdaq chassis on startup of the software.

Annoying, but nothing else seems to work.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,865 Views)

Look through posts on this topic, looks like a "self-test" shall also work? I think Self-test is much faster than Reset-device?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,863 Views)

As this is an Ethernet chassis that requires reservation and drops of TCP coms can cause modules to not apear in the chassis. Therefore are the best practices to do a unreserv->reserv in beginning of program and unreserv in the end. Yes this takes startup a bit longer but the system will be much more robust.

Things that can help but not always what I've seen;

1. Self-test will most of the times get all modules back

2. Reset will also most of the times get all modules back

3. Unreserv and reserv again will most definitely work.

Best Regards
Jonas Mäki
Systems Developer
Novator Solutions
Message 10 of 10
(4,844 Views)